Asked on May 13, 2017

How to fix....?

Gma KirkJohnBink


My house was literally built with 2 telephone poles in each side people said they thought he was building an Ark. so now I have a crawl space in one side about 25'x20' and a wide open space on other side we just call a basement. ok so we have to walk up 9 steps to get to door. My ? In the crawl space has been starting to slant for about 9 yrs. I'm so paranoid about it thinking i'm going to wake up sliding out the side of house. I would say the slant gradually goes down to maybe a 4inch differenc. If I wanted to start jacking it up how many jacks and how much do I start with before I lift jack up more each time and how much should I go up each time.Yes I'm a lady in her mid 60's but I have to get this done.. on the side we call basement the ---- that built it put wooden floors down over dirt, yep it's all rotted wood now so that will have to fixed afterwards HELP I'm on a tight budget. Thank you Penny. Will post pics if you tell me what and where you need to see. Thank you
5 answers
  • William
    on May 13, 2017

    This is not a job for a DIY. The house could fall down around you. You need a structural engineer to access what is going on and what can be done. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news.
  • Teresa
    on May 14, 2017

    I'm not an expert but I grew up in a house with a phone pole right in the middle of our front yard (it was 2nd base for our pick up ball games). Eventuall, my dad had it removed. First, I would suggest that you contact the county or utility company to find out if the pole or poles can be moved or totally removed from your property. Then find out if they have any responsibility to you as far as the foundation of your home is concerned. Then call an engineer for an assessment of your foundation. The utility company may do this for you. The only reason I say this is because I went through something like what you're going through and while it wasn't easy, there are people out there who will help you. Best of luck! TeresaC
  • Bink
    on May 14, 2017

    Call a contractor immediately before something terrible happens! Sounds like you have a major problem and expensive too. Good luck.
  • John
    on May 14, 2017

    I am an electro-mechanical engineer, and as an engineer, I say this is not a job for one your state department of aging and see if they can help. there are federal you don't help seniors remain in their homes...or look up on the internet federal department of aging and call them...if nothing else, call your state representative and find out who to contact in your is free for the asking.
  • Gma Kirk
    on May 15, 2017

    Yikes! I agree, get professional input from a foundation specialist. If you were here, I'd refer you to Olshan's. Check those listed in your area and review review sites, better business bureau, and any local community groups/FB pages, etc. best of luck to you!
Your comment...