How can I add greenery to my cement patio?

MarcieKathyMindy
+2

I have a cement patio atop my garage. I would like a lot of permanent greenery there as it faces rooftops. Rather than lots of flowerpots, I want to build-in planters along the perimeter, which is made of cinder block. What should I build with? What should I line it with before adding the soil? Any other tips or plans or suggestions appreciated.
  • Hillela G.

How about a planter made out of bricks, it will match your cement patio and sort of "flow into it"
  • Lynne Forrestal

You could continue the cinder blocks too or use landscaping stone s they have for terracing. I'd line with landscaping fabric , sometimes called weed block, to keep soil in but let water flow through. make them large enough to handle the mature plants such as bushes... I'd put in flowering/ and evergreen bushes. but you could put a trellis in the back for climbing vines too to add more privacy
  • Mindy

be cognizant of the weight load for a rooftop deck.
  • Kathy

Watch out for weight load. You could use sails to give you more privacy or curtains run along a cable from post to post. You could use the neutral colored painters tarp. I've seen curtains and rugs made from it. I've seen people dye the tarp, stencil, tie dye it. Let creative self go.
  • Marcie

Planters made of wood are easy to make, and I love the look. Line with plastic, but make sure there are holes in the plastic and the bottom for drainage. Raise them up for more privacy. And an area of cement like this will have more heat, due to the sun on the cement. When you buy plants, buy with this is mind.