We set the heat at low temp but it won't go below 80 degrees!! Help!

NjlouChristine McClantocDanielle Odin
+12

My thermostat is set at 50 degrees now, but the temperature won't go below 80 degrees! I don't know how to read this thing and have not been able to find any answers online so far. Someone please help!!
  • Charly

Well first of all, your thermostat is older than dirt. They don't use mercury levelers anymore. You need to buy a new thermostat. They aren't very expensive, the prices start at $20.00 and can go all the way up to $150.00. And you can install it yourself. I remember having that old thermostat when I was a child. And I'm 70 years old now. Please. Do yourself a favor and get rid of that thing. Donate it to a museum. lol
  • PAMELA

AS ABOVE COMMENT, TIME TO BUY A NEW THERMOSTAT.. HOME STORE FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP YOU SELECT THE CORRECT ONE. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A NO RIP OFF A/C/HEAT COMPANY DO AN ANNUAL CHECK UP.. ABOUT 75 DOLLARS.. MANY RIP OFF COMPANIES AND YOU CAN INSTALL THE THERMO YOURSELF, GO TO YOUTUBE FIND A VIDEO ON HOW TO DO IT!
  • Rob Stoddard

there is most likely a switch that ia marked heat/cool.You have to move the switch to cool,not just adjusting the numbers.Reverse this when you want heat .The previous suggestion of a new thermostat is imperative but for quick results check this out.
    • Gwen Barham Loftus

Hey John...so true. We use to live north and west of Cheyenne about 10 miles and at 7300 feet you really don't need an a/c. Rarely gets above 85 and humidity is around 5% MOST of the summer. (which was only about 60 days or so) ;>o
  • Connie

I'm 73 and I too remember that thermostat. Buy new and/or call in the ac man. If you get new ac they replace the thermostat. They are programmed and sometimes all you what is On, OFF, UP, DOWN! Good luck
  • Eleanor Korf

Unless you are "into" modern electronics I suggest you buy a simple thermostat with no programming. It will work just like the one pictured with up and down temperature settings and will cost in the range of $15.00 to $25.00. Install it yourself. It is easy.
  • Mike Bonner

Watch the mercury bulb when you move your temperature selector arm. It should move as you move the temp selector. It's probably old and tired like me and you will do yourself a favor and install a new thermostat. If it is heat only, don't worry about the wiring, one on R and one on W. Probably time for a nice Fujitsu Mini Split system.
  • Bridget Bishop

Replace your thermostat. It is broken.
  • Ann Marie

If/when you do replace this old thermostat, please remember to dispose of it properly. Mercury is a hazardous material, and even though the thermostat only contains a small amount, it needs to be dealt with in the right way and kept out of the environment. It definitely should not go into the regular trash. You might want to talk to your utility company or a good HVAC person to find out how to dispose of it. You can also google for info.
  • Diana Deiley

Yup, you need a NEW one. Check out Walmart, Ace Hardware, HD and Lowes for a new thermostat. You'll save money in the long run. Better safe then sorry. Properly dispose of your old one. Best of luck.
  • Danielle Odin

Your neighbourhood should have an annual hazardous material collection day or there is a place where you can dispose of the old with the mercury for a small fee.
  • Christine McClantoc

Call electrician
  • Njlou

the bottom slider is what controls the thermostat. At 60 it is "off". The 80 degree reading is the actual temperature of the room. Use another thermometer to verify the room temperature. Your room may well be 80 degrees. If you find that the room temperature is another temperature, you can recalibrate the "red springy" meter by rotating the center beige piece to match the room temp. There is a good chance that there is nothing wrong.