Abe  Cardenas
Abe Cardenas
  • El Centro, CA

Which is better grass:Bermuda or Saint Agustine for Southern Ca?

GinaMandyCarl J. Fielstra
+2

• Cmiller64000

I like Saint Augustine myself
  • Shoshana

Bermuda consumes less water...my vote is there.
  • Carl J. Fielstra

I am a former southern Californian now living along the Gulf Coast of central Florida. Our local grow is St. Augustine and is what I would consistently pull from my Southern California lawn.

I am now pampering and encouraging what a few years ago I regarded as an invasive weed.

if "one man's junk is another man's treasure," it follows that "one man's weed may be another man's" flower.

• Mandy

Bermuda grass is indestructible. I have tried to kill what we have for 40 years. I think it thrives on Roundup.
  • Gina

it all depends: bermuda requires less water than st. Augustine; however, Bermuda grass can be tracked in the house and require bi-weekly sweeping & vacuuming especially if you have pets that will bring in bermuda grass inside. St. Augustine is susceptibility bow to fungus due to overwatering & time and of day the grass is watered- not a good idea to water st. Augustine grass late in the day. It is give & take between the two types of grass .