What are the best cover crops for over worked soil?

Gma KirkLjgordonJanet Pizaro
+2

My parents bought land in a flood plain that had been farmed for years, mostly corn. The soil is deficient in minerals. I don't think there is very much top soil left that is good for planting any type of flour or vegetable. Last year she cut down her Cup and Saucer Magnolia because of some type of white fungus. She would like to have a garden that thrives.
Thank you.
  • Sgd23409549

I use buckwheat in my alternate garden when it makes seeds till it up and it will grow again it usually gets tilled up three times per summer then plant a cereal rye for the winter

The soil will need amending with composted manure,lime ,peatmoss and a ultra light top soil .Rototilling first would be in your best interest,then mix in the new soil amendments. Allow the soil to sit a few weeks before planting.
  • Ljgordon

Look up the local agricultural extension agent and have your soil tested. They can be found under government and /or are usually supported by a nearby university. You will get a letter telling you what you need to do to make good soil. e..g. I live in KY. Lots of limestone. My soil has a ph of 7.9. I have to put 46-0-0 fertilizer and sulfur in my garden every year to lower the ph so my plants will grow well.
  • Gma Kirk

At the recommendation of our co-op, We planted a mixture of Crimson clover and buckwheat, which we turned under before the clover went to seed, as we needed to stabilize a slope as well as rebuild topsoil. Hairy vetch and field peas are good for returning nitrogen to the soil too.