What is the best time of year to put down grass seed?

ChristopherCindyNancy Robinson
+9

My backyard.....I need to fill in spots in the front yard.
  • Shoshana

The best time will probably depend on where you are located. You don't want it too hot (so as not to burn the seeds). You don't want to plant right before a big rain (so your seed doesn't wash away). You do want the ground to be well watered beforehand.
  • Gma Kirk

it depends on whether you are planting warm weather grass or cool weather grass. Warm weather grasses like Bermuda do best in the spring, cool weather grasses like fescues do best in early fall, although they can also be planted in early spring.

What is your location?Is the lighting full or partial sun?
  • Where? That is one lush garden! I would do almost anything for a yard like that! I am in CA and I have had best luck in the spring and fall filling in bare spots - so now is the time! Consult with a reputable garden center for help with grass seed selection for your area.
  • Karen

Minnesota, front yard sun, backyard shady
  • Brenda

Spring is ok but fall is better. Just make sure you sow as package suggests and water like hell
  • Tracey

I ALWAYS put my grass seed down before it snows. The snow as it melts packs it down nicely and come spring it's starts sporting ice and thick because it doesn't have a chance to get disturbs by my 3 dogs, birds or any other activity going on in your yard
  • Carol Cook Lucas

Since every area of the US has a different climate I called our county agricultre commission and they were nice enough to let me know when was best and what seed was working well in my area. Hope this helps!
  • Mari

Something to add is if you use a Scott Step 1 ( or similar) treatment no amount of seeding is going to work for months after the application as it prevents seeds from germinating. Since I use Step 1 I seed in the fall. I live in the northeast.
  • Nancy Robinson

I would always plant my lawns in September, then you get the nice even rainfall before it freezes and wahla, no watering in the heat.

• Cindy

Just like real estate, location, location, location. Think about when and where. Best advice I can offer is to make sure your soil is wet when you plant. Also if you are repairing bald spots, be sure to sprinkle some of your seeds around the spot too. So it will blend with the grass already there. Happy gardening.
  • Christopher

Early September is when to do it. At least here in the Midwest. Do not try to do it in the summer. You will be battling the heat to keep the seed wet. Even if you can keep it wet, it just doesn't grow like it does in the fall.