Can I plant trees/shrubs in 6"-8" of soil?

Sue LillyLynn Murphy-PickerKathy Porterfield
+2

My yard has about 6"-8" of dirt before you hit rock..... I'd like to plant to plant some Japanese maples, hydrangea, camellias, etc..... I guess my question is....will they survive?!? Thanks!! j
  • Gma Kirk

If you want to do this, I would recommend building up some raised beds or berms to plant in so you can add another foot or so of dirt. Otherwise, any larger plants would have very shallow root systems and be very susceptible to drought as well
    as wind damage.
  • Goldrushgal

I would say to also build terms and after planted cover area with a good layer of mulch to keep soil moist and prevent evaporation.
  • Kathy Porterfield

I agree with the above suggestions. Also check with a local nursery and ask them what you can plant without building a planter box if you don't want to do that. I think small evergreens might work as they are shallow rooted. However they will take a lot of water to get started and high wind may blow them over. You might put in trellis' and plant vines, thus giving you vertical greens. Good luck.
  • Lynn Murphy-Picker

I think another option would be to purchase very large pots to grow some of your trees in. You may have to consider dwarf versions of some of the trees based on the root system. You can check with your local extension office to see what your options would do well in the oversized pots.
  • Sue Lilly

I would do a raised flower bed