Can an area of poured concrete be removed?

Patricia HoweSusanToni
+6

The 4' x 24' area between my front porch and sidewalk has been covered over with concrete. I would like to remove it so I can plant flowers. Is it possible to do it myself or can it even be done without great expense by someone else?
  • Slew Dee

Yes, but you will need to rent a machine to break up the cement. Then just dog it up and toss. Labour intensive, but doable.

Its a big demolition project. You can do it if your capable of handling demo tools.

• You can do it, but this is one of the times I would hire out as it is a rough job jack hammering all that concrete then tossing into a bin or at least moving to store for future use. I am all for getting my hands dirty, but this I would hire out.
  • Gma Kirk

I agree hiring out. using a jackhammer is murder on your arms and shoulders.
  • Patricia Howe

Thank you - I knew it wouldn't be easy, but it will be worth it.
  • Barbara

Cover it with rich soil and plant......you may need a retainer wall .
  • Toni

you could make a raised flower bed on top of it and fill it with soil, or rent a machine to demo. it and remove it, but it a lot of hard work
  • Susan

Hire a couple strong teenagers and give them sledgehammers. I've taken out a sidewalk and an old patio this way. Oh, and make them haul it off lol
  • Patricia Howe

Yeah - sounds great! Where do I get sledgehammers though? - Home Depot? You're absolutely right - young guys love to physically destroy things!