What is the best paint for old popcorn ceiling?

ClaudeSuellen HintzJosile Reigle
+2

• Slew Dee

Any paint is doable. It's the applicator that's important. Use high pile.

Flat ceiling paint. Use a thick nap roller.
  • Josile Reigle

Scrape off the popcorn. Use a Spray bottle full of water and wet the popcorn first. Then take a large flat trowel and gently scrape it off. It doesn't take much time and then you can paint it any kind of roller
  • Suellen Hintz

The only time I tried to paint popcorn I used a roller and the popcorn started to fall off immediately. We rented a sprayer and that worked. I'd suggest removing the popcorn, repair the drywall and start fresh. I try to remind people that ceilings don't have to match the wall color. My guest room is pastel green and I plan to paint the ceiling lavender.
  • Claude

Remove it. If it hasn't been painted. Just do it, you will be happy you did. HOWEVER! If it's been painted...double ugg...it's a messy job to paint but a pia to remove. Hire someone. It's such a pia that contractors would rather re Sheetrock than attempt to remove it.