Styling a Garden Fence Makeover

$31

This was a quick little project I created to add interest & style to a small townhouse garden on a tiny budget to present it for sale. I repurposed lattice from an old potting shed & hung as a frame for planters on the boundary fence. This feature vertical garden can be seen from an outdoor seating area & when walking down the path. It also ties in with another garden art feature on the opposite wall of the building. I'll post the other projects for this property separately. If you've only got a small space like this narrow courtyard garden, simple design principles such as repetition and clever use of colour can really make an impact without spending a fortune!
styling a garden fence makeover, fences, flowers, gardening
The only items I needed to source were a couple of small self-watering pots, pot hooks & some hardy plants so the property owner had a no-fuss solution during the sale process.
This space really needed a feature and when I noticed the lattice panel was still in reasonable condition, an idea to reuse it here came to mind.
I reused this leftover lattice after removing it from the old potting shed so this was a free resource. I just needed to secure it to the fence and dress it up.
2 screws were used to secure the panel to the fence. Hung horizontally, this feature widened the space and made the narrow garden look bigger.
S Hooks are cheap and an easy fast way to secure pots with rims to a trellis like this lattice. Slip the bottom of the S hooks under the rim of the pot and then hang onto the support structure. No drilling required!
Sticking to a simple colour scheme with contrasting pots allows the colourful red blooms to be the star attraction when they burst into flower. Black pots & red flowers were also used to decorate other key areas in the garden.
Red vincas, ixoras and marigolds tied in with the red portulacas in hanging pots to provide a striking pop of colour.
The Micro Gardener - Anne

• Barb Rosen

Wonderful project that adds just the right accents to that fence, Anne! Nicely done!

• Heje

Good project that updates that boring fence. It is an idea that anyone could borrow and use to show their style and ideas.