30 yo wallpaper. How do I cover/remove it?

Diana DeileyMar2172918Hol22804747
+3

My home has the original wallpaper, 30+ years old. I spent months removing it in the kitchen resulting in the need to float, sand, and prime the entire wall. I don't want to have to do this in the two bathrooms that I need to remodel. Any suggestions?
  • Hillela G.

Try with a spray bottle full of warm water, and a putty knife. (alot less expensive also) You spray a spot, letting it sit a couple mins. then spray again and start scraping it while wet. It is a very long process but you will be happy you did when it is finished. You will want to get a big trash can and cover your floor w/ plastic. If you happen to get knocks in the plaster from all the scraping, apply spackle and sand smooth before painting.
    Good luck!
    • Gracemyrtle

Thanks, Hillela. That's what I did in my kitchen but because they didn't prime the entire wall before wallpapering, when I attempted to remove it, it was thoroughly stuck to the sheetrock. No matter how slowly or gently I scraped, I took off chunks of sheetrock in the process. Just looking for a different option.
  • Judy Ferrell

Try a steamer. It will loosen the old glue with the heat from the steam and the water will make it easier to scrap
  • Hol22804747

wall paper stipper from the store or steam it.
  • Mar2172918

Steaming is most likely your best option you really do have to get the paper very wet l used to score the paper with the edge of paint scrapper care full though as you will not want to score the plasterboard.
  • Diana Deiley

A.) if it's vinyl wallpaper the top layer will peel off easily, then soak the paper backing with warm water then scrape off. B.) if it's non-vinyl, score the paper with the rotating tool, mix a gallon of HOT water with 1 cup of fabric softener, soak walls, let it work, then scrape off the wallpaper. I've done this. It works great, smells better, cleans up well. C) when done, wash the walls with plain hot water to remove any paste that may have remained. D.) let dry. E.) patch any holes. F.) Paint G.) Celebrate your new room!!!!!!!