How do I get my purple iris to bloom? I have one plant bloom rarely

Lynn Murphy-PickerNancy FordAlradborn
+3

• Shoshana

How crowded are your irises? If they are too close then they won't bloom.
  • Pam Lindau

How deep is the tuber? Irises like their tubers to be very close to the surface of the ground.
  • Bernadette Staal

I agree with the first person - lift, split and if necessary shift to another location - check with your local garden centre.
  • Alradborn

Irises tend to bloom every other year. Most people have more than one tuber so it's not as noticeable.
  • Nancy Ford

Thank you everyone for your helpful tips and advice. I am determined to see them bloom one of these years. I better get out my pitchfork and shovel and get to moving my dozens of purple iris to a better location!!!!!
  • Lynn Murphy-Picker

It is extremely important that the tubers are not planted very deep. I have had the pleasure of learning this by trying different methods of transplanting. I have found that if you can see parts of the tubers on the surface of the ground, that is deep enough. When you transplant , place the sections in shallow holes leaving 1/3 -- 1/2 above ground.