What time of year is the best time to clean out a blue bird house?

Elizabeth DionSue LillyNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+2

My Northeastern Blue bird house is in the backyard among the pine and other trees.
My husband wants to unscrew the roof of the birdhouse now and clean it out now (spring) I say wait until late fall and then clean it out for the next years spring birds to make nests inside.
  • Judy Ferrell

fall
  • Karen Brunck

Late fall. Our blue birds use the same nest each season, so you really don't need to do it. They freshen the nest themselves.
  • What is it with all these helpful hubbies? No, do not touch it, the birds do their own housekeeping, and frankly speaking, better than some people I know . . . Late fall is the best time and if he wants to do it again, late winter before they start nesting. I leave all the hair from the cat and dog brushes, gets scooped up almost immediately when the birds nest.
  • Sue Lilly

Once it's empty
  • Elizabeth Dion

I clean mine out when the first clutch of babies fledge and then once again in the fall.