What is a good option (other than grass) for bare grass spot?

Susan MatejkaEil22229440Lil
+19

Dog scratched up grass and starting to dig up dirt in small triangle patch of yard. Being on a leash, I can't put down anything that leash will get tangled up. Grass is NOT an option as she will just scratch it up again.
q what is a good option other than grass for bare grass spot
  • Judy Ferrell

carry your pavers over and put a container of flowers on it

Cut the corner out a little more,edge with bottles,bricks,broken plates.put landscape fabric downed add rocks,make a large container to fill up the area,or put a garden statue there.
    • Mfbandit769

Oh yeah, great idea. Put broken bottles, glass and plates out for the dog to injury him/herself on. Sounds like torture for a tied up dog to me.
  • Danielle Gleason Illich

☝️ I agree, rocks would be perfect!
  • Judy Hammack

river rock/pebbles...

• Brenda

I agree with river rock or peebles, just make sure you use landscape fabric. I sometimes double it up to prevent weeds ir grass coming up.
  • Mfbandit769

It's difficult to determine how large the corner spot is, but I would enlarge it quite a bit and install a small shrub (evergreen or perennial) and face it down with shorter annuals/perennials OR simply install a bed of perennials/annuals. I believe most people think too "small" when it comes to landscaping.

I did not say broken bottles i said bottles....,broken plates mean any plates with chips that are no longer usable.
  • Chris mara

Keep it simple - in cost and function. If dog is leashed there you need to just put river rocks over landscape fabric. You can't put flowers or a bush or a statue or a planter as dog will trample over or get caught on them first go on the leash. If this was area where dog was not leashed, those are great ideas. I've been through this and there is nothing more annoying than doing the work making it look pretty and my dog leash caught up on or knocked down a planter or destroyed Plantings I spent good money on.
  • Banjojane66

Sounds like you need another place for her to play. Give her a place to run, instead of digging.
  • Wendy Molnar

I had a digger and this trick really works. I know your tired of filling this spot and know how crazy this sounds but I can guarantee this will stop your dog from digging in this same spot. Remove about 1 to 2 inches of the soil. Give the soil healthy coat of black pepper and cover it lightly with the soil you removed. Next time you dog starts digging he'll get a surprise in his nose. Don't over use the pepper but do make sure it's enough to give him a snort. He may decide to go dig somewhere else, in which case just keep repeating until he gets the idea that, that dirt is nasty stuff.
  • Susan Matejka

I live in a deed restricted community...a dog run would not be an option.
  • Susan Matejka

Thanks for your sound advice...looks like the way to go.
  • Mic22665503

I would just extend the pavers into a triangle design. Will look like part of the landscape.
  • Diana Brewer

I have raised dogs and owned dogs since I was a teenager.The best way to stop them from digging is to put their own feces (poop)into the hole they have been digging,then shovel the dirt back in.They will smell it when they start to redig that hole and stop.No,you won't smell it yourself because you covered it with dirt.A dog's sense of smell is much keener than our's.Hope this helps!
  • Ptrish

i would add some small pavers in a decorative pattern.. I have pups as well and have tried ground cover plants, sod, small rocks etc but they often redig the area.. I placed large decorative pavers and so far so good
  • Lil

Or just, DON'T leash the dog!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it is leashed and not tied up
    • Susan Matejka

Leashed only for one to do his business and come back in. Otherwise he's a runner and we don't have a fence.
  • Eil22229440

sMALL STONES????
  • Susan Matejka

Decided to use lava rock after cutting down the soil in a triangular shape. Works great and even helped with seepage coming into our Lanai area.