Shauna Steadman
Shauna Steadman
  • Charleston, WV

Metal Kitchen Cabinets restoration - any suggestions?

Shauna SteadmanNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CACaseyem11

I am restoring an Arts and Crafts 'kit' bungalow in Charleston WV. Hoping to entice others in this historic Luna Park area to get on board with some of these great homes. I am doing it on a song and a prayer and will be saving the kitchen cabinets which are in good shape, with exception of some minor rust issues. I have stripped miles of black walnut woodwork on 36 windows and molding throughout the house and am now thinking that a retro kitchen will be just the ticket for the cabinets. Short of more stripping, which really isn't necessary on those cabinets, has anyone found a good surface treatment outside of facial replacement? I am keeping to 'beachy colors' and will be using turquoise accessories and off white subway tile. The tile came from Habitat for Humanity and I have used it in two baths and it looks heavenly.
  • Caseyem11

Have you considered taking the doors to an automotive paint shop?
  • That is what I was thinking too.
  • Shauna Steadman

Thanks for your suggestions, ladies. I have had that in mind. I tried to post a picture of the room, also the baths, which used the tile. When I was working as a pro I was airbrushing, so at 76, a techie I am not. I think that I can get a good surface by hand and hoping that someone out there can tell me about a glazing technique I haven't heard of.