What is the best way to refinish a wooden front door ?

+5
It's a beautiful old door, with difficult to sand carvings and ridges.
  • See if you can rent the tools at a local home improvement store to do it yourself. With the proper tools it can go quick. Or call in someone to at least sand down for you. Then you finish as desired.
  • FL FL on May 15, 2017
    Sounds spectacular! Can you use a heat gun to lift the old paint or stain? The heat can help lift the old paint or finish from the wood. That works well with tools like tooth brushes, dull butter knives and very fine steel wool to get all the crevices. Lucky you!
  • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on May 15, 2017
    Use a stripper. I did. Apply the stripper and cover with Glad Wrap to keep it moist while it does its work. I use a flat blade like a drywall blade to scrape off the stipper, and dip steel wool in stripper to further clean off the stripper. You can find an assortment of gadgets in the house to get at the nooks and crannies. Wash well afterwards with paint thinner/mineral spirits to get off any residual stripper. After staining, I used a spar varnish-varathane.
  • Susan Jeanne Susan Jeanne on May 15, 2017
    My dremel is my best friend when it comes to getting into tight spaces and crannies. So many attachments!
  • FL FL on May 16, 2017
  • Ineke McLean Ineke McLean on May 16, 2017
    Thank you all for the tips! I will use a solvent and keep the heatgun and dremel in mind if I run into difficulties! You guys are the best!