DIY Beach Themed Coasters

Like so many of you, I love mason jars and use them quite often in decorating. But I find that I use a ton of the Mason jars but never the lids. Does that happen to you? I literally had a bucket full of Mason jar lids. My daughter and a couple of friends are moving into their first apartment for their Senior Year of College. They are going with beach themed decor, so I decided to make coasters from the mason jar lids.
These are so easy to make with just a few supplies. Start with your mason jar lids, crushed shells or vase filler and small starfish or shells and E-6000 Adhesive. The final thing that you will need to finish the project is the Triple Thick Gloss Glaze. You can find all of these items at the craft store.
First use the E-6000 to attach the mason jar lid together. Make sure you use enough of the E-6000 to really seal it. You want to make sure the Gloss doesn't leak out of the bottom. Then add the shells and starfish so it is just below the lid. Finally pour a nice, even layer of the Triple Thick Gloss Glaze.
It will come out a milky white but don't worry-it dries clear. If you see any bubbles after you pour it, make sure you use a toothpick to pop the air bubbles. Let it dry overnight and you are done!
It is perfectly clear and sealed making it waterproof and a nice addition to your coastal decor. These would be great to use outside on a porch or patio as well for Summer entertaining. All four of these cost under $10 to make!
Get the step by step as well as other thrifty craft ideas here http://ourcraftymom.com/diy-beach-themed-coasters-mason-jar-lids/. You may also like my beach themed mason jars and bottles here http://ourcraftymom.com/create-challenge-achieve-stained-glass-look/

These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Our Crafty Mom

• Maxy Gee

These are great and I'd love to make them but I'm a little confused about the materials list. The pix of the coasters show crushed seashells but the materials list shows acrylic crystal diamonds. Where do I find the crushed seashells?
  • Nan10574837

Can they be used for coasters?

• Mickey Baron

I'd use the WIDE MOUTH lids... so ANY cup or glass can fit easily on top... just sayin

• Willadean Arellano

i tried this about 3 days ago and the gloss isnt tacky but it hasnt gotten hard, i can take my finger and push it and its like a jello texture. any ideas why?

• Kellie

I don't know for sure having not used that stuff before I would think it simply hasn't completely cured.