Is it possible to make a steep, narrow staircase less steep and narrow

PatToniVicki Terrinoni
+2

The house we are retiring to has a steep, narrow staircase to the finished basement and laundry area. This concerns me, especially as we age.
  • Thomas Lawson

Vicki you should get a contractor licensed of course to check and see if your stairway is up to code. Most stairs have to be max 7.5 inch rise with a minimum of 10 inch deep tread that should be perfect for your issues. I had the same issue with stairs to my deck and have had to rebuild them to code because the also were not built properly. I hope that helps.
  • Bobbie

I don't know of or have ever heard of anyway to make stairs less steep etc unless you tear them out and have new ones built. I would contact a contractor for professional advice.
  • Vicki Terrinoni

I pretty much thought we would need a contractor. And Thomas, I had not thought of the code issue. We will definitely check that out. Thanks for your comments.
  • Toni

you could tear them out and home depot makes custom stair treads you can get for pretty desend price and rebuild them
  • Pat

Ours is steep also....thank heavens our laundry is on the first floor. Secondly I use the hand rails going down to the basement. If you have room you might have to have your stairs go around a corner so they won't be so steep. I have seen pictures of where people have put two person elevators in their homes for their retirement years. Costly but maybe worth it.