Five Different Garden Borders

$20

Here are five different ideas for a garden border using things you probably already have around your house.
Number 1 - plates.
Carefully tap your plates into the ground using a rubber mallet. If the ground is especially hard, dig a trench before you insert the plates.
Number 1 - plates
Gently tap the plates into the soil using a rubber mallet.
Using different shapes, colors, and sizes, you have an interesting border to your garden.
Number 2 - bottles
Soak off the labels in hot water and scrub any remaining glue from the labels.
Using a rubber mallet, gently tape the bottles into the soil
The more bottles you have, the closer you can put them together. Using different colored bottles, you would have a really beautiful border.

Number 3 - Pallet/Scrap Wood
Gently tap the wood into the soil using a rubber mallet.
You can vary the heights, colors, and sizes of the wood or make it all one height using the same wood.
Number 4 - Aluminum Flashing
Wearing gloves, fold down the top of the edge as it is sharp.
This is a very sleek and industrial look.
Number 5 - Rope Lighting
Using landscape pins, secure the rope lighting to the top of the edge of your border.
Your garden is now lit up at night.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Herma Hayes

Is the Rope Light Solar or Electrical???

• Tanya Rhodes

You can do this either way. Home Depot has a good array of rope lights, including solar powered. You can also go to Amazon or Walmart online and find the same stuff for order. You just look at the prices and buy the one that best meets your need.

• Lagree Wyndham

The pallet wood looks good, but does it also act a Buffet for termites?

• Catherine Gilbert

Some pallets are pressure treated. That seems like the only wood you could use in something like this. Untreated wood would rot very quickly, and/or draw insects. Still, it looks better than bottles or plates!

• Pyesangel

I love the look of the aluminum flashing. How hard is it to work with and about how much does it cost????? Are there different widths and lengths???

• Harriett Dokken

You might call a roofer and ask if they have any scrap you can have. Use a 2x4 to make a 90 degree bend, and the use the 2x4 to complete the edge bend.

• BHudson

I am going to do the bottle edging. I have the bottles and am waiting for spring! I got the (beer) bottles from a local bar. I asked them to save them for me.

• Beth

So much better than tossing them in the landfill! And if you don't wash them, the beer residue might be enough to keep the slugs away (slugs HATE beer!)

• Janet Romero-Gaeke

I lined my backyard vegie garden and tree surround with plates. My neighbors asked me why. sigh...