Rebecca Clash
Rebecca Clash
  • Grinnell, IA

What's the best way to keep animals out of your garden without a fence

Kathy Varner NelsonMarcieNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+4

What is the best way to keep animals out of your garden without a fence?
  • Patricia

You can install hoops over the garden and then drape netting over the hoops.
  • Valerie Dagley

Shotgun
  • Kathleen

Many of the "chewers" hate marigolds! If you plant marigolds along the edges, it could deter bunnies, etc.
  • Nancy Turner

What type of pests do you have. Some critters don't like hot peppers, for a flower garden you could try a border of ornamental Thai Peppers. They don't get tall, have gorgeous petite(about1 inch) colorful fruit, and if you have a friend, relative or neighbor that likes hot food they are very hot. In a veggie garden you could use any hot pepper. Again, if you don't like spicy, I'm sure you know someone who would love them. If it is just certain plants just intersperse them where needed. Hope this helps!
  • I have news for you, fences do not deter animals. My backyard is completely fenced there are still critters but I love them so I am willing to co exist peacefully. Every night when I lay in bed there are skunks, possums, raccoons and who knows what else running along the back fence . . .

Just do what you can to deter them and hope for the best.
  • Marcie

I am a professional gardener, and have learned that the best thing to do is many things! Spray (home made or bought), certain plants, plastic forks in the ground,
    plastic owls, etc. For plants, marigolds for sure. Also pulmonaria (it's scratchy and some animals don't like this), geraniums. Look on Pinterest. They have a ton of ideas for this.
  • Kathy Varner Nelson

Look for an animal deterrant called I MUST GARDEN. It works. Sold at nurseries and home improvement store(s).