Can you use compost in planter pot, or is it too strong?

+8
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on May 17, 2017
    You can but it will smell pretty strongly pretty quickly. It's best to use something more heavy duty. Best of luck!
    • Kris Kris on May 17, 2017
      They would be outside, just not sure if it would kill of the plants. Thanks for your info. 😊
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 17, 2017
    It is not necessary to use compost in pots,a good potting soil is all that is needed.
    • Kris Kris on May 17, 2017
      Yes thank you, I have about a ton of compost and don't want to by potting soil, seems pointless. That is why I am asking.
  • Teresa Teresa on May 18, 2017
    Can you mix the compost with soil?
    • Kris Kris on May 18, 2017
      My point was not to have to buy potting soil, the dirt here sucks. It desert landscape. So you can't grow anything in it. This is why we got a ton of compost.
  • Reiana Reiana on May 18, 2017
    compost then soil then plant then soil . You need to make sure plant doesnt come in direct contact of compost or it will burn it
  • Kris Kris on May 18, 2017
    Thank you all, great info. New to gardening so I can always use some tips 😃
  • Teresa Teresa on May 18, 2017
    I totally understand that. What I meant was could you mix your compost with some of your native soil. Something on the ratio of maybe 2 parts compost to one part of your soil. The aim you're going for is a homogenous blend of "potting soil" that you've put together yourself.
    • Kris Kris on May 19, 2017
      Yes I could try that, I guess gardening is all about see what works right? Lol
  • Teresa Teresa on May 19, 2017
    Yes. And enjoy it. You gotta get some dirt under your nails. Lol. Have fun with it. My grandmother once planted peanuts ... roasted ones! We had so much fun with that. I'm gonna try planting hamburger and see if I can grow ribeye (something's not right with that)! Lol. TeresaC