Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Atascadero, CA

Lemon Stamped Tea Towel

$5

With the changing season, I am ready for some indoor crafts and some lazy conversations over a cuppa. Life will not dish out many days that will allow for dreamy afternoons like that, but when they come I want to be ready to snatch up that time! In a preemptive strike sort of way, I decided to get ready for the moment when it presented itself by crafting up a cheery little tea towel. At least it got me crafting, and when all was said and done, it was so cute that I simply had to brew up a cup and enjoy my handiwork!

lemon stamped tea towel
I chose to simply “reuse” an old flour sack towel, giving it a bit of a spruce-up.

Supplies
  • flour sack towel
  • acrylic paint (your choice on color, but citrusy colors like yellow, orange, green and even hot pink are adorable)
  • paint brush
  • lemon
  • paper plate
  • paper towel
lemon stamped tea towel
With my first run at stamping, I simply painted the cut side of a lemon and stamped it down onto the towel.  I quickly learned that the lemon could do with a bit of a squeeze.

I really wanted it to look like lemons and not just polka dots, so I needed the divisions of the lemon to stand out.  Squeezing some of the juice out did a pretty good job of it, but next time I may simply cut the lemon the night before and let it dehydrate overnight (on the counter or uncovered in the fridge).
lemon stamped tea towel
Note: when the stamps are still wet, it may not look like much.  Let the towel dry (I laid mine out in the sun), once the juice and paint have dried it takes on a much more dramatic appearance in patterning.
lemon stamped tea towel
I love how simple this project is from beginning to end. It would make for a perfect DIY gift for any birthday, Mother's Day, even a bridal shower!  While the towel dried, I was able to put the kettle on and brew up some gorgeous green tea and roasted rice.  Yum!
Cheers!
Chanda

• Flour sack towel
  • Acrylic paint
  • Paint brush
Zest it Up

• Mary Jo Kilzer

Where do you purchase a flour sack towel?

• Sun21600100

This is just the project I wanted for my kitchen window curtains. Thank you. How do you set them so that when you used a degreaser on the curtains the patterns don’t come off

• Janet Gaylor

in the JoAnns fabric paint, grab some textile medium, add this to the paint and then when it dries, set the paint with a medium hot iron..... that will set it.

• Barbara Fryer Conover

What is a flour sack towel? Material?

• Zest it Up

Flour sacks are not really sacks at all, but sheets of fabric made of very thin cotton threads. The weave is tighter than cheesecloth, but loose enough that you can see through the cloth