Donna R
Donna R
  • Lumberton, TX

Winter Decor Using a Goodwill Sweater and Fluffy Yarn.

I covered two glass hurricane globes with the sleeves of one white Goodwill sweater. They fit nicely over the globe, with the cuffs of the sleeves being at the top of the globe. I did sew the top part of each sleeve (wider part) to give it a tighter fit on the bottom of the globe. These sleeves had a button down tab on the cuffs so when covered over the globe, it kind of looks like a handle on each side. I used a gathering stitch at the bottom of the globe so it would fit over the edge of the globe. This keeps the stretched sleeve from riding up on the hurricane globe and secures it. I hot glued Bernat Pipsqueak yarn to make a snowflake on each globe and to enhance the cuffs and bottom of the hurricane globe. I put a votive candle inside each and the snowflakes really show up in the candlelight. I'm using them on my winter mantel but would also be pretty as a winter centerpiece. I had everything on hand so each candle holder cost less than a dollar and took about an hour to make. I plan to make a pillow with a snowflake out of the body of the same sweater.
I love that the sleeves had the buttom up tabs on each cuff.  Kind of looks like a handle when stretched over the hurricane globe.
I love that the sleeves had the buttom up tabs on each cuff. Kind of looks like a handle when stretched over the hurricane globe.
All that is necessary for this project.
All that is necessary for this project.
Gathering stitch at the bottom of the globes.
I also covered a pair of smaller hurricane globes with sleeves from another Goodwill sweater. The two small ceramic white candle holders in this picture came from the after Christmas sale at JoAnn's.
Winter mantel showing all four sweater covered hurricane globes.