Mary from Real Girl's Realm
Mary from Real Girl's Realm
  • Winston Salem, NC

The Easiest Way to Clean and Organize Your Fridge

After the cold and yuckiness of winter, the warmer temps makes me want to throw open the windows and give my house a refresh. One of the areas that always needs a little extra attention is my kitchen, specifically the refrigerator. Today, I am going to share how I cleaned and organized my fridge with the help of some dollar store finds!
the easiest way to clean and organize your fridge
I bought shelf liners and plastic bins from the dollar store to organize my fridge.
Here is what it looked like when I started. (I know...it's a mess!)
Cleaning Your Fridge:
  • Take everything out of the fridge...yes EVERYTHING...and set it on the counter. (ummmm...yes, that is 3 gallons of milk. I have a growing teenage boy!)
  • Check the dates and toss anything that is expired (like the grape jelly from 2015...don't judge!)
  • Use an All-Purpose cleaner to wipe down all the shelves or a Mr. Clean scrubbing sponge
  • Remove the drawers and wash them in the sink with a dish detergent
Line the shelves with plastic shelf liner. (I found this at the Dollar General) The roll I got did three shelves. Use plastic bins to corral smaller items like yogurt/pudding cups, juice boxes, and small condiment jars.  I love how clean and organized my fridge is now! I just hope it stays this way!

• Shelf Liner  (Dollar General)
  • Plastic bins  (Dollar Tree)
Mary from Real Girl's Realm

• Roenna Thomas

Where did all the milk go?
  • Kathy Collins

I get the shelf liner tho my shelves are the wire kind not the glass shelf kind plus I have a ton of door storage, and I'm the only one here, yes I need to clean out my fridge especially the crisper which are really bad, already gone thru it and thrown out all things that are expired. Unless it says best if used before a certain date, it doesn't mean it's gone bad at midnight on that date, if kept in fridge at constant temp it will last a lot longer .
    So what do I do with wire shelves? Any ideas?
    • Barbara

Go to your local hardware shop and have plastic sheeting cut to size. Or, scour thrift shops, and dollar stores for picture frames that have the right size clear plastic (even if you have to use 2). These will cover your wire shelves. And, be easy to wash.

• I thought the reason the shelves are the way they are is for circulation . If you cover them, will it not make the fridge work harder? Just a thought.

• Ginny

Lining shelves is a good way to inhibit circulation. It does look great, though. I repurposed a very large plastic bin from the Dollar Tree for bread, rolls, bagels, and other baked goods that end up on top of and under other things. Also did the same in the freezer. Meat in one bin and frozen vegetables in another with pre-made meals (in one portion sizes) in the middle and on the freezer door. Works well when you're cooking for one. Also label meal containers with painters tape so labels are easy to remove before washing. When we were a family, I didn't know what leftovers were!

• Itsmemic

I do the same thing but with brightly colored baskets . Red for fruits...green for veggies:) Just remember folks..you MUST leave a space around each shelf for circulation !!! Glass shelves...wires shelves too.