Dresser Makeover With Shutters

I had this old dresser sitting in my garage for years. I could not get rid of it because it was my husband's grandfather's dresser, and it was sentimental to him. I decided that I had to do something amazing to the dresser and use it in my home so that I could have more room in my garage.
I removed the drawers and gave the dresser a good cleaning. I had seen a beautiful dresser with shutters at my favorite furniture and home decor store but the dresser was out of my price range.
I saw some old thrifted shutters that I had in my garage and I thought that I might could add the shutters to the front of the dresser. I held them up and they fit in height perfectly but they were not quite wide enough.
I measured and cut two boards to add to the side of the dresser. I nailed the boards onto the front of the dresser so that my shutters would fit correctly.

I primed the dresser and the shutters with two coats of primer. After the paint dried overnight, I painted the dresser and shutters with two coats of my taupe/gray color.
I wanted this piece to be a light color instead of dark and weathered color. Plus, the picture of my dream cabinet with shutter doors is light colored so I went with a white wash over my paint and I LOVE it!  You can view the white wash paint technique .
I reattached the doors and the shelves inside are a perfect place to store my table linens and my plate chargers. I think that this dresser looks just like the one I wanted from the high-end furniture store.

• Primer and Paint
  • Two pieces of wood

Sherry@Savvy Apron