DIY American Flag Banner With Burlap

$8.00

This was a last minute project I made using flags and burlap for a banner. There's no sewing involved!
Gather all your supplies. I already had lots of burlap laying around, along with lots of tea and twine. The only thing I needed were some small flags on a stick.
Remove the flags from the sticks and place in a hot pan of strong tea to make them look old. As a disclosure, these are not considered real flags. They are only 4x6 inches and were on a plastic stick and sold in the decorating section of the store for parties and such.
The photo doesn't show it, but there was some aging with the tea on the whites of the flags. I cut enough burlap for each flag and make it just a bit larger than the flag. I purposely unraveled the edged and sprayed the burlap with starch. I used Tacky Glue to glue the flags to the burlap. I applied the glue to the back of each flag and using paper towels, I patted them to the burlap.  I had an old plastic tablecloth underneath them for glue that was sure to seep through. Then I folded the top of the burlap over 1 inch and glued it after I had it around the twine.
I made small knots on the ends of each twine to secure to our cottage. If you are hanging your flag banner vertically, as I did above, make sure the stars are to the observers left, which these are.
What a great way to celebrate Memorial Day or Independence Day! As a side note, my father served in WWII and is buried in Arlington and had a full military funeral, my husband served and our son recently retired from the military after serving 20 years. Everything I did above is not being disrespectful to our American Flag, as these were sold in the party section and are disposable.

• Small Flags  (Hobby Lobby)
  • Burlap  (Already had - Joann Fabrics)
  • Spray Starch  (Target)

31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
15 Memorial Day Crafts
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Theredpaintedcottage

• Carol

Aren't all those flags backwards?
  • Katie Dile

Sorry to fuss but as a military member and a family history of service that goes back to the revolutionary war I have to disagree. A flag that has 13 stripes, 50 stars, and red,white, and blue Is an American Flag and deserve the respect. Thank you
  • Vickie

So. why aren't these considered 'real' flags? They look the same as the ones used to decorate graves at 4th of July, Memorial Day, Veterans Day. etc. Is it because of the size? Anyway, I think it's a wonderful and easy way to show your patriotism.
    • Karen

I could be wrong on this but if I reach way back in my memory I believe to be considered a real flag it has to be 3 x 5 or greater and sewn together . The flags do you see it cemeteries on graves are consider Pennets

• Sue McCullough

Absolutely patriotic beautiful! ❤️ God bless America!!!

• Jen

People display their flags in many different ways all with the same intent, to show their American Pride and gratitude to this great country and the men and women that fought and still fight for it!! I found your project absolutely appropriate... love it!!!