Wood Icing® Company
Wood Icing® Company
  • Foristell, MO

Inlaid Beaded Edging With a Fresco Finish

Learn how to create this Fresco style finish with Wood Icing® products and how to create a beaded edge for plain cabinet doors.
This is the "Before" cabinet.  I was not happy with the louvered doors so I created a raised panel with a beaded edge. Read further to learn how this was done.
I decided to create this textured finish with Wood Icing® Textura Paste, inexpensive plastic beads, and a texture roller.
Here's what the door looked like after I added the panel over the louvered part.
These are the beads I used. A string of cheap plastic pearls will do fine.
I added the paste, then pressed the pearls in, pushing them into the edges.

I base painted with Paris Grey and decoupaged colorful napkins on the bottom of the cabinet for a splash of color.
I applied sections or blobs of the Textura Paste over the painted and decoupaged areas. I dragged and smoothed over these random blobs with the offset knife to thin down and spread out the paste evenly. I worked quickly and worked a section at a time.
Do one side at a time. I applied the Wood Icing Furniture Glazing Color "Tree Bark". I immediately removed the glazing color with a soft rag.

If the glaze dries too fast or will not move for you, use a wet rag.
Or, for a longer open time, you can use "Clear Glazing Color".
Just brush a small amount of the clear glaze over the top and the dark color will begin to work up again so you can manipulate how dark you want the glaze to be or how much you want to wipe back off.
Once the Glazing color has been wiped back and is dry. Apply a small amount of paint on a paper plate. Dip the tip of your brush into the paint, then offload most of the paint by wiping with a paper towel.  Dry Brush over the top of the textured surface, which will leave bits of Paris Grey on the top surface to accent the textured design.

Close up of the finished cabinet door.
Fresco Finish with Beaded Edging
For this project my supply list is as follows:

Wood Icing® Textura Paste
Wood Icing Furniture Glazing Colors (Clear and Tree Bark)
Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan (Paris Grey)
Wood Icing Offset Knife
Colorful tissue paper or napkins for decoupage
Artisans Enhancement, Transfer Gel for the decoupage
String of Plastic Beads (Purchased from a hobby or craft store)
Soft rags
Annie Sloan Paint Brush
Chip brush
Texture Roller from Artistic Studio
Spray bottle of water
Please visit our website woodicing.com

To see more: http://woodicing.blogspot.com/2017/05/inlaid-beaded-edging-with-fresco-finish.html

• Anna Smith

Where are the areas with the flowers

• Bry

Very nice! What did you use for the panel that covers the shutter part?

• Terri

From a earlier question: We used a White Formica board, which is kind of like pressed board but more slick and hard. You do need to rough it up with coarse sand paper first. We happened to have quite a few sheets of this that we had salvaged from a close out sale.

• Randal

hi nice work, but I am wondering how you got the beads to stay affixed, is that in the icing that is being used in the photo?

• Beth

It says in the post that the beads were pressed into the paste. That holds them in.

• Debbie mckrisky

I don’t know where they came up with the roll like thing at all doesn’t say anything about that. Therefore, I can’t make it!

• TK

That red roller is called a "Texture Roller". She used it after applying the blobs of texture paint. The paint store will show you where they are.

• Carol Cole

Absolutely beautiful. I love it.