Wood Icing® Company
Wood Icing® Company
  • Foristell, MO

Inlaid Beaded Edging With a Fresco Finish

Learn how to create this Fresco style finish with Wood Icing® products and how to create a beaded edge for plain cabinet doors.
inlaid beaded edging with a fresco finish
This is the "Before" cabinet.  I was not happy with the louvered doors so I created a raised panel with a beaded edge. Read further to learn how this was done.
I decided to create this textured finish with Wood Icing® Textura Paste, inexpensive plastic beads, and a texture roller.
Here's what the door looked like after I added the panel over the louvered part.
These are the beads I used. A string of cheap plastic pearls will do fine.
I added the paste, then pressed the pearls in, pushing them into the edges.

I base painted with Paris Grey and decoupaged colorful napkins on the bottom of the cabinet for a splash of color.
I applied sections or blobs of the Textura Paste over the painted and decoupaged areas. I dragged and smoothed over these random blobs with the offset knife to thin down and spread out the paste evenly. I worked quickly and worked a section at a time.
Do one side at a time. I applied the Wood Icing Furniture Glazing Color "Tree Bark". I immediately removed the glazing color with a soft rag.

If the glaze dries too fast or will not move for you, use a wet rag.
Or, for a longer open time, you can use "Clear Glazing Color".
Just brush a small amount of the clear glaze over the top and the dark color will begin to work up again so you can manipulate how dark you want the glaze to be or how much you want to wipe back off.
Once the Glazing color has been wiped back and is dry. Apply a small amount of paint on a paper plate. Dip the tip of your brush into the paint, then offload most of the paint by wiping with a paper towel.  Dry Brush over the top of the textured surface, which will leave bits of Paris Grey on the top surface to accent the textured design.

Close up of the finished cabinet door.
Fresco Finish with Beaded Edging
Fresco Finish with Beaded Edging
For this project my supply list is as follows:

Wood Icing® Textura Paste
Wood Icing Furniture Glazing Colors (Clear and Tree Bark)
Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan (Paris Grey)
Wood Icing Offset Knife
Colorful tissue paper or napkins for decoupage
Artisans Enhancement, Transfer Gel for the decoupage
String of Plastic Beads (Purchased from a hobby or craft store)
Soft rags
Annie Sloan Paint Brush
Chip brush
Texture Roller from Artistic Studio
Spray bottle of water
Please visit our website woodicing.com

To see more: http://woodicing.blogspot.com/2017/05/inlaid-beaded-edging-with-fresco-finish.html

• Tecia Wiersma

I'm looking for a way to darken oak kitchen cabinets to give them a more rustic look without spending a bunch of time and mess stripping them. Would the color furniture glaze work for this?
    • Pau5938561

Gel stain works great
    • Pau5938561

Gel stain works great
    • 3950805

Our Wood Icing Furniture Glazing Color is an Acrylic based product. We recommend you do the proper prep prior to application. Either strip or roughly sand to remove any loose paint or previous finish. A protective coat of Poly/Acrlic is also recommended for the finish.
    • Dale Toth

Love this technique! The beads really makes the panel pop. I love the raised panel idea. Now what can I do this to?
    • Jeannie

I'm trying it on an old wooden trunk. But, I may use something different to decoupage on it. its my husbands..😌
  • Bea22954468

Not a question...all I have to say is, WOW! That is extremely creative...very good job.
    • 3950805

Thank you!
    • Christine Butler

I second that! Beautiful!!

• Jeannie

I thank you very much. I have an old wooden trunk to refinish....this project is perfect.
      keep on keeping on...😉
    • Jewellmartin

I have an old, plain wooden hope chest about three feet long that I want to embellish somehow. Maybe this technique would work in the chest. The beads, decoupage and some wood trim would really make a difference. And the the coloring you used is new to me, but I think I could do it with practice. Best wishes 😇
  • N. G. Londonderry

Did you just paint the top of the cabinet with no texturing so you have a smooth finish?
    • 3950805

Hi Normlargray, I always try to create texture but for table tops or flat surfaces I create a more subtle texture for ease of keeping clean or setting objects on top .
  • Kar17346968

What happened to the pretty napkins you added to the sides and bottom front?
    • Bucko2000

She said that she rolled the Textura Paste over the painted AND decoupaged areas.

• Lana Hassell

You can see them on the front of the doors and the bottom edge of the front of you look closely.

• Da.herrmann

WOW! I'm impressed! This is very professional work. Is there a source for these products in Germany, too?

• Jjorutili

Also not a question....your project is GORGEOUS! I was dreaming of a similar looking cabinet I saw the other day at World Market for a zillion dollars AS BEAUTIFUL as yours! Thank you for sharing your artistry with us. Gratefully, Julia
  • Vicky Park Leffert

neat idea!! but I wish you had shown the finished sides too :)
    • Ann

Click on the "To see more" link above.

• 3950805

yes please visit my blog to see more details of this project
      woodicing.blogspot. com
  • Edie

Beautiful! I cannot see the decupage napkin color? Only on the sides or covered up with other mediums? Picture of side would be helpful.
  • Vashti gunness

What did this cost?
    • Wood Icing® Company

Wood Icing qt size =$28
      Chalk Paint qt size =$38
      WI Glazing Color 12 oz jar =$17.50
      WI Top Coat 12 oz size = $19.50
      Total around $103.00
  • Emmawilliams1

how much to do, approx? Very pretty1
    • 3950805

Emma, if you are asking what the approximate cost of this project?
      Just a quick product cost, which will vary, depending where you purchase.
      Wood Icing Textura Paste $28 qt size
      Annie Sloan Chalk Paint $38 qt size
      Wood Icing Furniture Glaze $17.50
      Wood Icing Poly/Acylic $19.95
      so total cost around $103.45.
      you can purchase these products at http://www.woodicing.com/

• Wood Icing® Company

Wood Icing qt size =$28
      Chalk Paint qt size =$38
      WI Glazing Color 12 oz jar =$17.50
      WI Top Coat 12 oz size = $19.50
      Total around $103.00
  • Janet B

That is sooooo beautiful!!!! Excellent job!!!
    • 3950805

Thank you!
    • Diane

Just beautiful. I love the way the tissue color just shows. I have an old pie cabinet for my next project, I've already bought my fabric (for inlay) music notes, but I'm going to use your pearl idea around the edges, very elegant.
      Stunning work, congratulations.
  • Lynsey Woronick Desmond

Where is or what happened to the flowers you put on?
    • 3950805

Please go to the blog to see all the steps. Woodicing.blogspot.com
    • Bonbon

Look at the bottom doors... you can see the pink flowers through the glaze.
    • Darlene Pascoe

you can see the colors of the napkins in the finish project. Look close for the colors.

• Barb

your blog shows you covered the louvers on the doors - what did you use? The picture almost makes me think you used a foam core sheet. If so, did you cover front and back of the doors? I want to get rid of louvers on 12 closet doors in my house. Help, please and thanks in advance
    • 3950805

Hi Barb,
      We used a White Formica board, which is kind of like pressed board but more slick and hard. You do need to rough it up with coarse sand paper first. We happened to have quite a few sheets of this that we had salvaged from a close out sale.
      The backs of the louvers were solid, so we did not have to cover that side.
      Good luck with your project.
    • Barb

thanks for an inspirational idea! No matter what I use there's no getting these doors dust-free. I need to remedy the situation or burn them!
  • Christine Sandow

What is the total cost of this project? It is quite beautiful, thank you for sharing!
  • Barb Dieterle

Fantastic job! You almost inspire me to give it a try. Where did the louvers go?

• Betty

Toward the beginning, it states "added the panel over the louvered part" to make a raised panel.

• Darrel Clegg

What is in the materials glue, stuck? Thanks for Health reason

• Elizabeth Simnons

Do you have a picture of the areas that you decoupaged? I can’t see that in the finished project so I’m not sure if I would want to do that step. This is a beautiful piece!!!

• JoLeen Bolton

I think the decoupaged napkins are the colors that are peeking through the finish...gorgeous! Looks like she did them on the fronts and sides all around.

• Lana Hassell

I also think I can see the pink of the flowers showing through on the doors and even the bottom of the front edge. This is a very pretty piece.

• Suzanne Thornton Gauvin

Hi, love this! fantastic job. You must be proud. I see that you decoupaged the sides, i assume you also did the doors, am i right? Thanks!

• Millie

Just stunning! A gold star for you! A lot of work, but a masterpiece resulted.

Where did you get the hinges, please?

• Nancy Tolbert Hambrick

I went back to the beginning photo, and it appears she used the original hinges, though the ones on the finished piece do appear darker than the original "brass" looking ones on the original. Otherwise, they do appear the same.

• Melody

Love it...very expensive looking now! I would like to ask, what did you do with the inside of the cabinet? Sometimes this is neglected, and it is a shame, because it destroys the look of the piece if the inside does not match the outside.

• Chr14484072

Did you have to sand before you painted the base color?

• Nora Cox

Would the icing work on a brick wall inside?

• Charitie Drye

4is the dark gray and purplish pink the decoupage napkin on the front cabinet peeking thru or another colour? Plus could you add a picture or 2 of the sides where you decoupaged?

• Anna Smith

Where are the areas with the flowers

• Shirley

They are under the glazed finish, you can see them on the door closeup.

• Beth

And they are just there to add color, as she said, not to really be recognizable.

• Chelle Kowal

I believe they are on the sides of the piece. The 5th photo shows them.

• Bry

Very nice! What did you use for the panel that covers the shutter part?

• Terri

From a earlier question: We used a White Formica board, which is kind of like pressed board but more slick and hard. You do need to rough it up with coarse sand paper first. We happened to have quite a few sheets of this that we had salvaged from a close out sale.

• Randal

hi nice work, but I am wondering how you got the beads to stay affixed, is that in the icing that is being used in the photo?

• Beth

It says in the post that the beads were pressed into the paste. That holds them in.

• Debbie mckrisky

I don’t know where they came up with the roll like thing at all doesn’t say anything about that. Therefore, I can’t make it!

• TK

That red roller is called a "Texture Roller". She used it after applying the blobs of texture paint. The paint store will show you where they are.

• Carol Cole

Absolutely beautiful. I love it.