Linda Sikut
Linda Sikut
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Hamburg, NY

Can I add faux wood grain to laminate?

WilliamLinda SikutCori Widen
+13

I have a very old bedroom set that is in great shape but it's that very old light wood grain look and I'd like to update it. It's either laminate or Formica and it's probably 40-50 years old. Is there a way to add a nice darker faux woodgrain to and then paint the rest. I'm sure it will need cleaning, scuffing up and sanding . I google it and google/youtube showed some kind of a rocker tool. Does anyone have other ideas?
  • Laurie

Would love to hear the answers- I own the same furniture!!
    • Linda Sikut

Thanks William. I did see some of those so I'm assuming that the rocker tool with a soft brush or whisk is the best way to go. I probably won't get to this project until fall, but I want to practice on something plain in between projects I'm doing this summer.
  • Colimbia1

Depending on exactly what area you are covering veneer could be glued to it. Without seeing it I will offer another idea...Chalk Paint. Because it can be used on almost any surface with little or no prep. Using a distressing technique with the dark wax would add a nice touch.

• Cori Widen

Chalk painting it will mean that you will likely not have to do any prep work - and you can still do a wax finish!
  • Linda Sikut

William, this system won't let me reply to you. It keeps coming up 'reply to Lauri'. But thank you William. I did see some of those so I'm assuming that the rocker tool with a soft brush or whisk is the best way to go. I probably won't get to this project until fall, but I want to practice on something plain in between projects I'm doing this summer.
  • Linda Sikut

The person I'm doing this for is very traditional and conservative. That's why I think the darker wood grain will be best. My idea is to use the wood grain on the top (and maybe the drawers) then paint the rest with gray paint. I've thought about doing that part with chalk paint but I really don't want the distressed look. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Always good to get some practice on a sample board! Have a good day.