Kellie
Kellie
  • Tallahassee, FL

Is it possible to repair the glass in my swag lamp?

JSusan WillsJennifer
+8

I bought this fun eclectic hanging lamp with the bubble glass. You know, the kind that pokes through the iron cutouts? The glass was broken upon receipt (yes, I rolled the dice with eBay. ) I have E6000, just not sure if it will work for this particular repair. Any suggestions?
q is it possible to repair the glass in my swag lamp
  • Gale O'Neal

Personally I would send it back and either have them replace it or refund my money.
  • C. D. Scallan

I agree with Gale. E6000, will not work btw, sorry .
  • Susan Axsom Curtis

Did you buy it knowing the glass was broken? If not send it back and get your money back. . I don't know of any way to fix the glass. If you keep it you could knock out the glass and weave ribbon in the metal . when you get tired the ribbon just change it out with different ribbon.
  • Kellie

No, the glass was intact when I bought it. They refunded me. I just refuse to give up on it. I love this lamp.
  • Tdr10797007

You can use supper glue to repair the lamp and stop more breakage, but the cracks will show. If you can live with that, go for it! It's free anyway. If your handy with a paint brush you might try camoflauging the breakage with a pattern or checkerboard design . The paint could be set with a heat gun rather than in the oven since I don't think the glue should be heated that long. Go for it! What do you have to lose.
  • Artemis

I like the metal housing and would probably get rid of the glass to re-purpose the metal. OR: I don't know the size, but you might be able to find a glass cylinder that fits inside. It wouldn't "fit" the metal housing exactly, but it would still be useful as a lamp. I suspect you could still use it as a lamp even without the glass. Just a thought.
  • Da.herrmann

I think you will have to find a professional glass blower/artist in your area and aks there.
  • Jewellmartin

Unless you are afraid the rest of the glass will break, too, I would use it as it is. It makes it look real and rustic. It also looks like you might have rescued it from an old house. Oh, yes, Elmer's Clear School Glue would cover any rough edges, inside or out. Best wishes!
  • Jennifer

Wow girl, not real sure what you could do with that, except turn that part to face the wall !
    Maybe a local glass maker could help?
    I love the lamp too, sorry.
  • Susan Wills

Long.long.ago.I.made.a.lamp.like.this.from.from.a.kit....It.used.resin.hardener.poured.into.a.mold.then.the.diamonds.were.put.in.the.frame.
    A.craft.store.may.have.supplys.
    Sorry.for.the.dots.space.bar.doesn't.quit.working.
  • J

Loctite makes a glass glue that cures in the sun. You will still see the lines where the glass broke, but the glue will make the repaired area sturdier and less prone to further breakage.