Shevonne Scott Birkla
Shevonne Scott Birkla
  • Louisville, KY

Is there anything you can paint or spray on an old tub ?

Ton22425520BusterHpGina Maylone
+2

Our tub is at least 40 years old and no matter how much you clean it it still looks dirty. Can't afford a new one. Any suggestions ?
  • DIY_Geetha

Sprinkle baking soda and spray vinegar onto it. the chemical reaction effervescence lifts any stains. Yo can add borax and bleach to the mix. Alternative is to paint it acrylic white waterproof paint and seal it with a clear resin coat.
  • Russell Tomishima

They sell paints made for bathtubs in the big hardware stores. I use automotive paints with urethane. Lasts for years. You have to really prep your tub to accept any type of primer and finish paint.
  • Gina Maylone

Rustoleum makes a tub resurfacing kit.

• BusterHp

Homax Tough as Tile resurfacing kit found at Home Depot or Lowes.
  • Ton22425520

It depends what the bath is made of, but many years ago I bought a house that had an enameled cast iron bath that had seen better days. Like yours, it seemed dirty whatever cleaning agents were used. Finally I tried brass cleaner, which is mildly abrasive but not aggressively so. That worked!