Love & Renovations
Love & Renovations
  • Leander, TX

DIY Leather Drawer Pulls

I've had this old IKEA dresser in my bedroom for years, and I always wanted to do something to switch up the drawer pulls on it but I couldn't find anything special enough. Finally, I decided to try my hand at making my own leather drawer pulls - and I'm SO GLAD I did! This is a really simple project (even simpler if you purchase pre-dyed leather, like a sane person would) and it makes a giant impact on the
diy leather drawer pulls
I started with a large piece of un-dyed leather. You could easily use an old belt, a purse, or any kind of leather for this project, but this is what I had laying around. I used a straight edge and a utility knife to cut strips of leather that were approximately 1.5 inches wide and 7 inches long.
diy leather drawer pulls
Once I had my strips, I used an awl (it kind of looks like an ice pick!) to poke a hole in them near the top, then I used my drill to make the hole large enough to fit my screws.
diy leather drawer pulls
I used leather dye and finish to get them to the exact color I wanted. You could easily leave the leather raw (or, again, buy leather that's already dyed) but this really created a more rustic, handmade feel that I love!
diy leather drawer pulls
Finally, I bought some gold screws and nuts, pushed the screws through the holes in the drawer pulls to attach to the dresser, and tightened the nuts on the back end to help them stay in place. The whole project took just a couple of hours and turned out BEAUTIFULLY! You can see some more detail on the specific products I used, along with a few more photos on the full blog post!

• Leather
  • Gold Screws + Nuts  (Home Depot)
  • Leather Dye + Finish
Love & Renovations

• Mary

Where can I buy leather? What size width and length and thickness of leather should I use to create what you did? I like your project... it looks so professionally done!

• Judy Hornbrook

I would even try using some denim; cut it in strips about 4 or 5 inches wide, fold in middle, turn & finish edges ... might be kinda cute in a very "informal sense"!