How to Create a Giant Chalkboard

I'm a huge fan of chalkboards, and when I was working on getting my garage clean, organized, and beautiful recently I decided that I wanted to fill one wall with a HUGE one. This project is so simple but it makes a huge impact, and it's such a functional thing to have in a garage or another space where you work frequently! If you like this project, you can see more easy and affordable DIY projects on my blog!
I started off by using 1x3 pine boards to create a frame on my wall. I used my miter saw to create mitered corners (don't know how? I'll teach you!) and drilled each board into the wall (with a little bit of wood glue on the back for good measure). I made my board 6-feet long by 4-feet tall.
Once my frame was created, I primed the inside - this is an important step to make sure that you have a good base for your chalkboard paint! I did two coats of primer.
Next up, I added chalkboard paint! I did three coats to ensure a really thorough coverage - be sure to follow the directions on the back of your paint can to ensure that you allow for proper dry time.
The last (and one of the most important) steps is to condition your chalkboard - this just means rubbing chalk all over it and erasing it. This preps the chalkboard paint and ensures that it will erase more easily in the future, and keeps your board looking nice and clean!
And then it's ready to be filled in with whatever your latest to-dos or shopping lists are!

• 1x3 pine wood
  • Primer
  • Chalkboard paint

Love & Renovations

• C Crow

Love your garage floor! Is it stained? painted? Thanks for any info you can provide about it.
    • C Crow

Thank you so much for the information. Happy summering.
  • Ralston

What kind of primer did you use?

• Julie M.

LOVE this. We just tackled our garage and we are pleased (and exhausted) by the outcome ;)

• Lori Eckert

I have a beautiful old mirror frame (hubby broke) it was too nice to throw away the frame. I'm going to put quater inch plywood in it but first I'm chalkboarding it, then cut it to size of old mirror an have a beautiful chalkboard. Thanks for the idea. :)