Bubble Painting

$6

Do you remember when you were a kid and you blew bubbles in your drink until your Mom yelled at you? Welp, here's your chance to relive your childhood! Bubble painting has to be my new favorite technique!
First thing you'll need it paint. Depending on what you are painting, your medium will vary.
Next, add water to make a milky consistency. Be sure not to add to much or your color will not show up in your bubbles.

Finally, add dish soap. I used regular blue dawn and it did not tint my white paint, however if you are worried you can use clear softsoap.
Give your ingredients a good mix.
I chose to paint on a terra cotta pot. You can use anything you'd like as long as it's not a shiny surface. Unfinished pottery, paper and terra cotta work great!
I made a little stand with a bottle to prop my pot up with so it wasn't sitting in the bubbles.

Now, let the fun begin! Blow your bubbles with a straw and tip the cup down so the bubbles will flow out. Spin the object while blowing so you can cover the whole surface with bubbles.
I used my straw to scrape out all the bubbles and let them pop naturally.
Here is my finished products! I must say, the camera did not do the pot justice but I still love the light marbly look the bubbles gave. My mug also came out so cute, it reminds me of taking a bath! 😋
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Cathy Sartain-Young

how does it turn out if you use two colors?

• Jo Ann Spofford

I have never tried this technique but, I would think that it would look great. You should get multiple color bubble design on your piece. I also think that on the mug you may want to seal it with a clear gloss spray. As I said I have never tried this technique so these are simply suggestions. If I have time I am going to find a small piece and try it today.
    • Dawn Eyer

Would it work with interior paint for an accent wall.?
  • Dawn Eyer

• Ronda Lambert

After all of the bubbles popped, and it dried, did you seal it with anything to keep it from coming off? Wondered if it would come off when washing the cup, etc. Thanks.
  • Kay

Would you be able to use cheeper paints, and cheeper dishwoshing liquid? The ones listed, seem a bit expensive, for this kind of project. Kay Adelaide Australia
  • Iml28903180

Can you provide a ratio of water to paint?
    • Janice

The ratio will depend upon the paint you're using. Some paint is thicker than others to start with. She said to a milky look.....so sounds me as though you don't want to add to the point you can see through the mixture.

• Iml28903180

Would it work over another color, if you ndidn't want to use plain terra cotta?
    • Kristi K

You could probably paint the terra cotta first in whatever color you'd like, using a flat paint. She did say any surface as long as it's not shiny, but the mug that she did is shiny & it worked there ........
  • Donna

Great project, thank you. Can you use the pots outside?
    • Danielle Whatsittoyou

That would depend entirely on the paints and or sealers that you choose for your project.
    • Lac27962358

I would think that if you sealed it on inside and out - or put a liner on the inside so watering the plant would not seep through to the outside. Guess with all the extra work, might not be a good idea - so many things to go wrong if the pot gets in the rain
  • Bei27136907

what about washing the cup?
  • Kin26852078

so amazing how did you come up with it? can you paint anything you can paint with this? like wood. thank you for the cute idea
  • James Thomas

Where are the answers to all the questions asked
    • Danielle Whatsittoyou

I don't see any answers posted yet. You would normally be able to click on the plus sign in the top left corner and the answers will pop up under the question. There is usually a notation saying "1 answer", "7 answers", etc.
      Hoor this helps James, have a fabulous day!'
    • Robyn Garner

You click the + next to the question to see the answers!
  • Julianrussell18

Can this be applied to a canvas to create a Oiece of ARt
    • Janice

Yes, the more contrast between the two, the more the bubbles will show up. On canvas, the bubbles may absorb a bit more than on a totally hard surface. Just give it a try....it's fun to experiment!

• PrairieSage

How long will the paint stay on the items? If you have to wash the cup, will the paint stay on it?
  • Maridell Mays

Will it wash off?
    • Danielle Whatsittoyou

If you use washable paints or with some paints you may need to seal it to protect it from the weather.
  • Nancy

Does it come off of the cup in the dishwasher
    • Linda McCauley Drumsta

As Danielle Whatsittoyou said in her reply to this question its kinda common sense:

• Mumandp

Spray sealant will stop it from coming off and will enhance the finished look depending on the sheen chosen and will protect it from washing off.
      Have fun creating something gorgeous and unique!!
      xo Michelle
  • Elizabeth

are they dishwasher saf?
  • Lucy

Can you do this on a plastic bucket?
    • Grandmasue10

Probably yes, you'd have to use paint meant for plastic surfaces.
    • For28365624

Kara said it doesn't work on shiny surfaces. I think the problem is that when the bubbles pop, the liquid from the bubbles will flow down the sides and make "dribble marks."

If the surface is a little bit porous, the bubbles will pop, and any excess liquid will be absorbed into the surface, but a porous surface won't allow dribble marks.

However, her coffee cup came out pretty nicely. She didn't mention whether the cup follows the no-shiny-surface rule. All of my coffee cups are glazed / shiny, and after a bubble pops, it would definitely dribble down the side of the cup.

Dribble marks would definitely make your creation look like a classic "bad paint job." However, that might be a good look for a plastic bucket. If it looks bad enough, it might keep people from stealing your bucket.
    • Nadine Hartman Bourne

And yet the picture shows a shiny coffee mug with blue bubble paint.
  • Jeanne Bodiford Whitaker

Love this style, great job! would you be able to do this on canvas??
  • Debi Asher-Wellmeier

Can this be done on a wall ?
    • Carrie

I was thinking if you foam it up and put it on a high nap roller and rolled it fast the bubbled would form then pop. Maybe giving it a similar effect however I wouldn’t add too much water or it will run. Play with a small amount until you get the right consistancy and maybe use a fan on low to set the paint so it doesnt run? That may b a good or bad idea lol
    • Carrie

bubbles*
    • Gilda Gottrox

You might want to try it on a scrap piece of wood or canvas before doing your wall, at least, until you get your technique perfected. Then you'll be less likely to mess up your wall.
  • Melinda

Can you use glitter glue?
    • Laurel Kane

I want to try this with glitter paint on pumpkins my class will get soon.
  • Debbie Spilsbury

Didn't Yu say Yu couldn't do this on anything shiny? Wasn't your white mug 'shiny' or did it have an ironstone texture on the outside? Got some mugs screamin' for something like this!
    • Amanda

Does it was off due to the dish soap diluting the paint?

• Betty Hutchinson

Ladies, please re-read the above description. She only used the plant pot for this technique. I don't imagine paint washes off unless you put it outside during rainy season.
    • Slg24280492

She also said she loved how her mug turned out, so I'm assuming she used this technique on it too.
    • AngieZ

She definitely used the bubble technique on the coffee cup. Why would she show the cup otherwise?!
    • Denise Esposito

Kara's comment...My mug also came out so cute, it reminds me of taking a bath! 😋 So she did the cup in blue. Look very close...The cup appears to have a shiny interior and a matte finish on the outside where she blew the blue bubbles. I've noticed cups with this particular finish while shopping At TJ Max and I believe Target.
    • Lisa Jean Wilcox

Guys, she fired the mug after painting it.
  • Sharron Bennett

Is 73 to old to try? There was an age question above. Neat idea.
    • Gail philips

Everyone should try this.
    • Scr30862689

Those of us "older kids" know to blow and not suck through the straw. Therefore, 73 is old enough to try this project.
    • Kathy

You are never to old to be creative!!!
    • Janice

The paint and straw won't know how old you are! I'm older than you and this sounds like a fun project!

Also, it can be fun to mix up a few small samples of different colors of with white school glue onto a surface and blow it in different directions to create some creative designs (modern art!) LOL!

• Pam Kettner

How did you get the blue color?
  • Marita Fields

Would it work on a plain painted wall? It sounds like I would like it.
    • Morgan

You could test it on a 10"x10" square of primed drywall. But I don't think the tempera paints and soap mixture would hold up to routine, weekly cleaning. And there is the cost. How many bottles are you going to need to do a wall? Also, if you test cleaning that same sample after 72 hours of drying time with your usual cleaners and the paint smears, then you're going need to seal that whole wall with some sort of clear coat. I can see this used easily with accessory pieces so that it stays affordable to do.
    • Neva Dew

Perhaps latex wall paint would work for a large surface? It cleans with water, so it would thin with water, I would think. Also, start with a darker shade to retain more color in the end. Very creative technique. (and yes we all liked to blow those bubbles in our drinks!)
  • Pamela Adams

That is so clever! I would love to more pieces painted this way! Where can I find it.
  • Dri22053431

Can you wash the mugs?
  • Carolyn Gardner Hargis

Did you, or would you, recommend sealing it once dry? I'm especially curious about the mug being sealed in order to use and wash it.

• Toni Sileo-Colombo

What an interesting idea! Do you spray a clear sealer on it?

• Dwp7470b

As long as what you are painting is not for food use or prep, yes you can use any clear sealant on it, for example:

I have a bathroom, is old panelboard that needs refresh with at least 2 coats of paint under a topcoat.

On coat 3 I could place bubblepaint, but because it is a bathroom, I need to avoid too much texture, and also use a sealant [either polyurethane, lacquer or flexseal clear] and predict the long term discoloration factors to accomodate color adjustment, to say, rather than baby blue, mix up a light aqua gallon as 1 part green with 8 parts blue rather than 2 parts green and 7 parts blue that is more bluish by adding green to blue rather than greenish by adding blue to green.

In twelve years, how does the decor match?

Done right, a not very noticeable discoloration of the clear topcoat transforms the entire to a yet suitable aqua from a near aqua beginning.

Explanation

Print and color is in my blood and expertise.

Scientifically speaking, yellow is not a color nor really 'adding pigment'.

It is prematurely aging by catalysts like you had a Tobacco Feind in-home, smoking 320 packs a day for 4 months until they kicked the habit by dying.

This is why the color: antique white, looks slightly cream colored and is always on the shopping list for any experienced contractor, artist or interior designer.

Thus, blue turns near aqua, near aqua turns aqua, aqua turns near green, and near green turns green, just like red turns brown, by the color additives, sooner than it would by aging.

Thus, to deduce what colors you will need to age that color gracefully, you should always have white and antique white paint handy rather than use yellow in the mix, use antique white to give it a bold vintaged character.

Of course, as always you buy darker paint than you want, to add dark paint to white or antique white, rather than add light paint to lighten, not solely because white paint is cheaper, but because: you want the primary pigments available for antiquing.

Especially for selecting decor and trims, and figuring out what color furnishings and fabrics you need, you use mix #2.

The antique white as primary part of the mix #2, to substitute for white, even on a splotch card, is a glimpse into the future: 12 to 20 years.

Matching with that early, provides a decreased cost stability of matching decors by consistent beauty, as you are glimpsing what the white will become of mix#1, later on by mix#2

If you want, you highlight with mix #2 early to create a Vintage Effect.

If you expose those to sunlight, you get also: varying degrees of sun bleaching that will also alter the hues.

Don't ask me to repeat the joke about the miser who wanted striped walls and lifted a broken venetian blind from a trashcan...to mount it sideways.

Thus any clear topcoat, Should only place on top of colors that age well, less noticeably, as:

To transform to a known vintaged end result that yet retains beauty, character, and that vintage look, is better than transform to an ugly end result, forwhich you neither prepared nor predicted.

• Lyn Peterson Marshall

Dwp, you lost me, in that long answer to a simple question. Sorry. I am not that brilliant I guess. I will just use a clear covering if I decide to do this

• Ari Driver

Totally confusing answer. I had the same question. I guess it would depend also on if you wanted a shiny finish?I like the weathered look of the terra cotta pots.

• Scott Brittain

You could use a matt finish clear acrylic if you dont want the shine.

• Robin

We NEED to know if this is washable??? Can this also be sealed with a clear finish???

• Thelma

Hi Robin; I have bubble painted many things and I always make sure to let the article dry completely - at least 24 hours - without letting it get wet in any way. Then I seal each item with a clear, non-yellowing, spray sealant, let it dry completely and put on another coat. My items are wiped clean with a damp cloth when they get dirty/dusty or are outside in the weather and none of them have lost their color. BTW, I do reseal the ones outside every 2 years just to keep them safe in the wintertime. Hope this helps!

• Patricia

Is this been tried on walls with normal paint or even cupboards or counters? Love this

• Bek

I dunno, but I can tell you that when I can get my hands on a decent sized piece of scrap drywall, it will be! I'm thinking chalk paint, maybe.

• Senior Chief

Rebecca, try the drywall squares for patching damaged areas. They are available in big box stores like Home Depot & are about 24” square. Me, I’m thinking inexpensive canvases & maybe trying a couple of colors (being sure to let dry between colors. This looks like fun!

Lois

• Phyllis Kirchner Autrey

How much dish soap do you put in the mixture, or does it matter?

• Judi McClelland

I expect you just need a little squirt as it is simply to enable the making of bubbles :)

• Michele Riley

would it be washable ? I'd like to try it on a wall.

• Judi McClelland

You'd probably need to seal it with some sort of clear finish, maybe do some experimenting :)

• Michele Riley

Thank you for answering. I will.

• Af67452829

Try it on a small area first, just to be safe.

• Jewellmartin

Good morning, Michele! Go for the oil-based polyurethane so you could use the pots outside. Same for cups, but don’t spray the inside, and hand wash. ☺️

• Laurie

I am going to paint two wood rocking chairs. Do you think it would work with interior wall paint?

• Connie Williams-Frech

I wold go to the hardware store and ask for a couple of scrap pieces of the kind of wood your rocking chairs are made of and test it that way first! Less wasting of materials and this way you don’t have to sand or prime your chairs if it doesn’t turn out like you want. Also, you can try variations of colors to see what shows up best. As far as sealing afterwards, they make clear sealant in spray, brush on, satin and shiny! Good Luck!

• Carol

will that work on wood

• Bianca Green

Ever thought about using a bubble gun?

• Mary Taylor Neldner

Do you have to use a medium? because i'm not sure what it is, I know of textile medium, is there wood and ceramic etc. mediums?

• Rose Phillips

Go to home depot, a medium is called flotrol. Used to thin paint for paint guns. It will cost 12 bucks for gallon, or about 6 for quart. Use it for tons of art work like, acryw pouring. Check out some videos on this really cool.

• Sandy

Do you have to coat it with something so it doesn't wash off?

• Janice

Can I put them in the microwave instead ?if so for how long? I don't have a oven thank you.

• Sunnie Dai

do you think it world look pretty done multiple times with different colors on things?

• Ker32529755

Yes it looks great. Remember the faster you blow the smaller the bubles....the slower the bigger the bubbles

• Nora

That sounds awesome as long as you let it dry each time be applying it. I thought of swirling food coloring in it to get that effect.

• Emily

good idea

• Phyliss

Or just multiple times with one color!

• Mel33825735

I love the bubble idea so Im going to attempt doing it on a larger scale like an entire wall. Do you have any suggestions before I start?

• Tracy1961

Bubble Machine was what popped into my head. . 😊

Why not??

• Andrea Horn

Buy the ArtCreativity double fan bubble blower toy gun. Mix up the mixture. Pour into gun. Cover the floor. I let my grandson "shoot" the wall and he had a blast! The guy has a built in fan that blows them onto the wall.

• Ruth McPherson

Did you try this on the wall Mel? I'd LOVE to see photos!!!

• Pamela K

Yeah. Don't.

• Maxine Brannan

Get a bigger straw.

• Pamela Foster

Haha haha

• Fil

Cut the bottom off a sturdy plastic sports drink bottle and ...water bottles are too flimsy...stretch a sock over cut end and dip in mixture and blow.. In summer we usebubble juice a large v8 splash bottle old leaf blower n tape to fill the kiddie pool with.magical foamy bubbles

• Bonnie

Practice on something small first!

• Amy9252465

can this be done on clothing, like a t-shirt? what will the dishwashing soap do to the color when washed?

• Carol

I know you can dye material with Kool-Aid. You could try mixing it with very little water and add the dish soap.

Also once you mix you could try dipping the end of a straw in the mixture and blow bubbles.

This may or may not work but, the dish soap will not harm your clothing.

• Jen

use Fabric dye and soak the shirt in vinegar after. This seals the color. Wash with cold water and laundry detergent and you’re good to go!

• Sam Lehman

The fabric paint that I use in my screen painting is set by ironing for about 5 minutes

• Sam Lehman

It would be nice to know how much paint , to soap ratio would be, Do you have an estimate?

• Tempest

I want to know if it would work on wood?

• Juanita

She said any surface that isn’t shiny, so I imagine it would, except for really rough or porous wood

• Carol Z

I really love your idea! So fun!! Just curious what kind of paint you used on the mug? Great job and I think kids would love this...even big kids. 😉

• Anna Winkler

Should I seal the clay pot if using it outdoors?

• Colette Vautour

How much soap do you put in?

• Tammy

Great idea!! Will have to try this!! Did you seal it afterwards so the paint stayed better?

• Sandra Daigle

will the psint wash off

• Deborah Conard

I wonder if you could seal between colors and do several layers of color?

• Renee

and add different colors....cool!

• Kim

Seal it with a rustoleum triple sealer and do again.

• Georgia Poulos

I was thinking of layering too and trying with metallic paint.

• Sandi

Why can't you just blow different color bubbles over the first color when that dries and seal the end result? As long as you let it dry between colors it should be fine.

• Betty Lusinger

Would this work on a wall?

• Linda

Ooo good question. Perhaps backsplash above a sink. Oooo would it work on wall or run down too much?

• Terry

OMG THAT'S A GREAT IDEA. Also wondering if it works.

• Lisa Hock Nelson

You could always do the bubble painting on White Contractors paper then apply as a backsplash after it dries... ripping pieces and doing a decoupage technique.... I think it would look pretty cool!

• Elizabeth

I am floored by this technique, so much so that I'm actually posting on Hometalk for the first time. I am going to reseal and use this method on my kitchen wall to lighten and brighten the gray/blue paint with white and a a soft sandy color and Wala a nice ocean look to it. I'm excited now! Thank you for the great Idea!

• Georgiana

I too asked myself the same question? Then I thought the the bubble might “run”.

• Marie

Can you add different color bubbles to one pot? Thank I like this project.

• Dorcas Wright Berthold

I was thinking I would definitely layer some color on my work. I don’t know what I’ll try it on but a gold or silver metallic paint will be involved. Lol

• Madonna

I'm very new and kind of slow at this crafty stuff, so excuse me if this sounds dumb. What are the amounts of the ingredients used. Paint, water soap?

• Madonna

Also, how much product can be covered with amount made??

• Cathy

I think I would try less water ?

• Pam Burley

What do you seal it with to keep it from washing away?

• Tamara

What is a natural weed killer?

• Nelida Torres

My kitchen cabinet faces the kitchen ( U shape). The back side faces the living room. Do I paint the back side the same as the front (white) or gray to match the living room?

• Pilar

It this works on wall

• Anita

Does the paint continue to adhere over time?

• Sue

How can I make it washable.

• Jennifer

How much dish detergent?

• Michele James

Did you use a sealant of any kind on the cup? Also, does this make it hand wash only?