DIY Pillow Shams For $7!

This Spring as I was switching out the bedding in our master bedroom for warmer weather I was noticing how expensive pillow shams are. In my frustration trying to find A. new pillow shams to match our existing bedding and B. pillow shams were affordable I came up with a way to make my own for $7 for the pair!
diy pillow shams for 7
I found a pair of standard pillow cases at my local Walmart on clearance for $5. I loved the navy paisley pattern and knew that they would look great with the navy bedding that we already owned. I also picked up up a single roll of navy grosgrain ribbon for my pillow sham project while I was there.
diy pillow shams for 7
The pillow cases were about 4 inches longer than the pillows I was going to use in my shams so I turned the pillow cases inside out and hemmed them to the length that matched my pillows.
diy pillow shams for 7
Next I cut six lengths of that ribbon that would become the closures for the shams.
diy pillow shams for 7
I pinned three ribbons to each side of the open end of the sham and then sewed them in place with my sewing machine.
diy pillow shams for 7
With the pillow inside each of my new shams the ribbons can be tied in a bow or a knot to held the sham closed.
diy pillow shams for 7
you can find the link to the entire project below!
diy pillow shams for 7
You can find the link to the entire project below!

• Standard pillow cases and ribbon  (Walmart)

Paige @ southerncurated

• Janet

I have done the very same thing! Yours look so pretty and I love your comforter! Such a beautiful set! And it makes you feel so good that it did not cost a fortune!

• ReneeL

I did this with solid navy pillowcases to bring out predominant navy on a quilt and then used yellow polka dot ribbon for the closure and a little whimsy.