Angie dunn
Angie dunn
  • Jennings, FL

How to prevent grass from coming up in the garden.

KathyMichele PappagalloAngie dunn
+4

How can I prevent so much grass to grow in my garden? I have beautiful green beans but in between is so much grass and I am afraid removing it would cause to pull up my bean plants. So what should happen before next growing season? I was afraid putting wheat killer down before hand it would keep my beans from germinating.

Smother the grass out with newspapers and black plastic
  • Susan

Try smothering it with newspaper or heavy duty landscape fabric.
  • SandyG

Covering with layers of newspaper and then spray with the water hose to dampen and hold down. You may have to put some dirt on and around paper depending on how much wind you get. At the end of the garden season, the paper should be almost decomposed and you can just plow/till under. Also, grass clippings are good to use and they will decompose.
  • Chas' Crazy Creations

Dig up the grass to the roots. You can also pour boiling water on it to kill it without harming your other plants. You can spray it with vinegar and that will kill it as well.
  • Angie dunn

Thank you so much for all your answers. Will start to save Newspapers now.
  • Michele Pappagallo

You can also cover the grass with pieces of cardboard. Soak it down, and cover it with soil or mulch to keep it in place. The grass will die underneath, and the cardboard will turn into compost for your soil.

• Kathy

You could put 2-3 inches of mulch on top of cardboard (best), 9-15 sheets of newspaper. You could put the wheat killer on the mulch.