Glen
Glen
  • West Palm Beach, FL

How To Make A Dog House

$00

For this project, I made a modern doghouse.
Be sure to check out the video for more details.
how to make a dog house
I started by marking the sides first then used the circular saw guide to make a straight cut.

After making the first cut, I repeated the same thing for the second side. Then, I cut the back as well.

The sides in the back are already cut, so I cut the top and the bottom. 

how to make a dog house
I used a ton of wood glue because I needed this to be as strong as it can be. I used a tight bond wood glue that’s outdoor rated. Then, I used 3/4 inch plywood to make all my joints. I pre-drilled and then used two inch decking screws to anchor that down.

how to make a dog house
Then, I took a piece of scrap wood and attached it to the top.
how to make a dog house
I flipped the house over and then attached the bottom. 

Once I got the bottom lined up, I pre-drilled and attached the bottom using screws. I wrapped the dog house using some premium tongue and groove white board.

how to make a dog house
These boards come in twelve foot sections and my miter saw area is not set up to do 12 foot cuts to I took my workpiece to the floor. I only mitered the front side of the dog house so when you look at it, it’s a clean look but on the back I just buddied them up to each other.

After my pieces were cut I started covering the back first. 

One one side of the dog house, I attached a piece of wood to use as a reference so that as I added each individual piece on, I had a stop. 

how to make a dog house

I glued the entire doghouse on one side and then I glued each individual board as I was adding them. 

how to make a dog house
Then, I attached them permanently using the nail gun. I found it better to just shoot the nails inside the groove, that way I didn’t have to touch up any holes on the surface. 
how to make a dog house
Since there’s not a ton of support on this side, I used pocket holes to hold this side of the trim on.

The side panel on this side of the dog house should be flush with the trim going around so I used a scrap piece to hold it in place and measured off of that.

After, adding glue, I installed the pocket hole screws. Attaching the other side should be much easier. I glued that and then installed screws from the inside. 

how to make a dog house
After my roof supports were up, I finished the siding.

The top part of the plywood was wrapped with 2x2 trim going around the top perimeter. And to the top of that, I added some plexiglass to give it a unique design and it’s like some upper windows.

how to make a dog house
I kept the roof simple with just a piece of plywood wrapped with some zinc metal. I secured the sheet metal to the plywood using some roofing screws which had a rubber washer on it. This prevents water from penetrating.

I used aluminum that I’ve had for years to cover up the front of the plywood. Then, I sanded the doghouse down to apply the finish.

how to make a dog house
I painted the interior, which helps with protecting the plywood and since it’s going to be outside and exposed to the elements, I used a sealer primer prior to adding the pain. I also added aluminum tape to add to the design and give it an interesting look.
how to make a dog house
I attached the roof using 1 inch galvanized L brackets inside all of the corners. 

I added a wood trim around the front and stained it a pecan stain from Minwax and some spray urethane on it.

To attach these pieces, I used some long screws from the inside. Then I installed the plexiglass around the perimeter. I set up the doghouse on a few concrete blocks and last but not least, I attached the roof. 

If This was helpful for you, be sure to stop by and subscribe to my other social media.
Facebook (Diy Creators) https://www.facebook.com/diycreators
Youtube (Diycreators) https://www.youtube.com/c/DIYCreators

Glen

• Pro23921909

No question -- just a compliment. Nice job Glen! Thanks for sharing what you did. I am sure your dog is appreciative of this endeavor.

Marianne
  • Muriel Watkins

What are the measurements of the your material.
  • Jba25189145

looked like fun to build. where's the dog?

• Wand Wasikewski

I'm not sure a tin roof on a dog house is a good idea.. With the heat of summer, the poor thing with bake. You would have to put vents on three sides or a roof vent to let the heat out..
  • Carol Cole

Nice job. We live in the North. My father built a dog house for his dog which was stuborn at times and didn't want to go in in the winter, so he insulated it. Kept the dog warmer and had a flap over the opening.