How To Make A Dog House

$00

For this project, I made a modern doghouse.
Be sure to check out the video for more details.
I started by marking the sides first then used the circular saw guide to make a straight cut.

After making the first cut, I repeated the same thing for the second side. Then, I cut the back as well.

The sides in the back are already cut, so I cut the top and the bottom. 

I used a ton of wood glue because I needed this to be as strong as it can be. I used a tight bond wood glue that’s outdoor rated. Then, I used 3/4 inch plywood to make all my joints. I pre-drilled and then used two inch decking screws to anchor that down.

Then, I took a piece of scrap wood and attached it to the top.
I flipped the house over and then attached the bottom. 

Once I got the bottom lined up, I pre-drilled and attached the bottom using screws. I wrapped the dog house using some premium tongue and groove white board.

These boards come in twelve foot sections and my miter saw area is not set up to do 12 foot cuts to I took my workpiece to the floor. I only mitered the front side of the dog house so when you look at it, it’s a clean look but on the back I just buddied them up to each other.

After my pieces were cut I started covering the back first. 

One one side of the dog house, I attached a piece of wood to use as a reference so that as I added each individual piece on, I had a stop. 

I glued the entire doghouse on one side and then I glued each individual board as I was adding them. 

Then, I attached them permanently using the nail gun. I found it better to just shoot the nails inside the groove, that way I didn’t have to touch up any holes on the surface. 
Since there’s not a ton of support on this side, I used pocket holes to hold this side of the trim on.

The side panel on this side of the dog house should be flush with the trim going around so I used a scrap piece to hold it in place and measured off of that.

After, adding glue, I installed the pocket hole screws. Attaching the other side should be much easier. I glued that and then installed screws from the inside. 

After my roof supports were up, I finished the siding.

The top part of the plywood was wrapped with 2x2 trim going around the top perimeter. And to the top of that, I added some plexiglass to give it a unique design and it’s like some upper windows.

I kept the roof simple with just a piece of plywood wrapped with some zinc metal. I secured the sheet metal to the plywood using some roofing screws which had a rubber washer on it. This prevents water from penetrating.

I used aluminum that I’ve had for years to cover up the front of the plywood. Then, I sanded the doghouse down to apply the finish.

I painted the interior, which helps with protecting the plywood and since it’s going to be outside and exposed to the elements, I used a sealer primer prior to adding the pain. I also added aluminum tape to add to the design and give it an interesting look.
I attached the roof using 1 inch galvanized L brackets inside all of the corners. 

I added a wood trim around the front and stained it a pecan stain from Minwax and some spray urethane on it.

To attach these pieces, I used some long screws from the inside. Then I installed the plexiglass around the perimeter. I set up the doghouse on a few concrete blocks and last but not least, I attached the roof. 

If This was helpful for you, be sure to stop by and subscribe to my other social media.
Facebook (Diy Creators) https://www.facebook.com/diycreators
Youtube (Diycreators) https://www.youtube.com/c/DIYCreators

• Ebbjdl

Did you insulate it?
    • Ret Grant

What would be the point? One side is wide open, unless the door can be reduced or has a swinging cover for bad weather.
    • Ebbjdl

An insulated house gives the dog 4 sides to

be cool on hot days, and warm on cold days. My husband made 2 with sh ingles, and caulked where the sides meet that was 20 years ago, and it's never leaked nice job though, this info would be helpful I thought. ebbjdl.

• Diana Brewer

Glen lives in West Palm Beach,Florida.Why would he need insulation down there? I was born and raised in Florida and I can assure you,the dog will not freeze in the winter nor be too hot in the summer.
    • Ebbjdl

The insulation "will" keep it cool on hot and humid days. The weather in Florida is not always perfect
  • Pro23921909

No question -- just a compliment. Nice job Glen! Thanks for sharing what you did. I am sure your dog is appreciative of this endeavor.

Marianne
  • Muriel Watkins

What are the measurements of the your material.
  • Jba25189145

looked like fun to build. where's the dog?

• Carol Cole

Nice job. We live in the North. My father built a dog house for his dog which was stuborn at times and didn't want to go in in the winter, so he insulated it. Kept the dog warmer and had a flap over the opening.

• Alejandra

Great job,you should start pattenting your projects.