How do I keep squirrels from eating my watermelons & cantaloupes?

Stephanie MitchellJoanieElaine Brown
+5

I start my watermelon & cantaloupes indoors. Then I move them outdoors and they do real good for a while my watermelon grows to the size of a tennis ball and then it gets eatin or it disappears all together! What Can I do to prevent this?
q how do i keep squirrels from eating my watermelons cantaloupes
  • Nancy Turner

I let my Winter squash go up the chain link fence that borders the property. That is the only place that I end up getting fruit. I am trying pinwheels around my corn in hopes the squirrels don't pull down the ears when they are only a couple inches long. Only time will tell if that will work with the corn.
  • Katherine Anne

You can put a sign up, that works for me.! I don't know why I said that,I was just feeling a little silly, please forgive me. Seriously though, we have a garden and it's not too big, but we had put chicken wire up around it to keep the rabbits out. And then last night, I noticed a big ol' racoon was getting in it, as well. Then we're probably going to do later today after gets cooler outside. So,depending on your garden size, you can kind of stitch up (with wire ties) a few rows of chicken wire and then lay them accross the top and use wire ties or ties of some sort, to hold it down against side pieces. It may be a little bit basic and rudimentary, but it'll work. I hope you get some additional suggestions as well. And again I hope my silliness did not offend you at the beginning but I think the child in me came out. Have a great day!
  • Chas' Crazy Creations

You can try some of these sprays - they work for me... http://www.hometalk.com/28593963/save-your-garden-sprays, good luck
  • Elaine Brown

Try mousetraps (no bait needed). I set a number of them and the stray cat now leaves my plants alone.
  • Joanie

Chicken wire always has worked for me.......Raccoons don't always come around.....you had one? You may never see one in your life time, unless you are in an area where they are plentiful. Critters are hard to keep away.......something any farmer or gardener has to deal with........sorry!!
  • Stephanie Mitchell

animals do not like the smell of oranges. You might want to try that. There are also owls that you can buy to help. don't know if it works.