Kathy
Kathy
  • Waskom, TX

I have a tree stump in my front yard. What do I do with it?

Janet PizaroRock-ClevelandBeverley
+5

• Margie

my husband always burned ours down as far as he coul..reason for not pulling it up is that we have alot af trees and plants close together and the rooting system of a tree is HUGE and can do some real damage pulling it up...if its in an area by itself you may consider pulling it up with chains and a truck but again, a big mess..these are my experiences any way..burning it out is best for me..hope I helped
    • Kathy

Thanks, Margie, but I don't want to get rid of the stump. I want to make something pretty out of it. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.
  • Beverley

Turn it into a gnome home , paint Windows and doors and put a roof on it. Stand a few gnomes around. or get the stump removal man in.
    • Kathy

Thanks for your reply. That sounds like a really cute idea. I will consider it.
  • Rock-Cleveland

Depending on the hardness of the wood. This is what I do. Take 1/2" copper pipe, Every 8 inches cut the pipe on a bias with a hack saw. This will give the pipe a edge with a point. Depending on the circumference of the tree, you most likely need 4 to 6 pieces.
    Drive these stakes as far as you can into the stump even an inch is good, the following week try for the 2 inches. Once you get all stakes hammered into the stump, cover the entire stump with rock salt at least an inch high.
    Keep driving the copper stakes down. You will see the wood rotting and flaking away. Over a year you should get down to the sod.
    • Kathy

Thank you for replying, but I am not looking to get rid of the stump. I want to make something pretty out of it.

Hollow out the inside and make a container planting with colorful flowers.
    • Kathy

Thank you, Janet. That is a great idea and one I will definitely consider.