How To Make Tinted Mason Jars

$5

Mason jars have been pretty hot in home decor and have so many uses. Personally, I find places to put them in almost every room! To pretty them up, I decided to tint them various colors to give them a fresh look and match my decor. Give it a try for yourself!
tinted mason jars
SUPPLIES:
- Mason Jar
- Food Coloring
- Mod Podge
- Oven
- Stirring Utensil
tinted mason jars
Step 1) Pour Mod Podge into your jar so that it is 1/4 full.

tinted mason jars
Step 2) Add a few drops of food coloring.
tinted mason jars
Step 3) Mix until blended well and there are no streaks in the mixture.
My mixture is now blended well.
tinted mason jars
Step 4) Twist and turn your jar until all of the mixture has covered the inside of the area of the jar completely.
tinted mason jars
Step 5) Place upside down onto a disposal container. Let dry approx. 4 hours or until mod podge has hardened. The extra liquid will have poured out.
tinted mason jars
Step 6) Once dry, place your jars upside down onto a lined baking tray.
tinted mason jars
Step 7) Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes at 250 degrees. If your jars are still opaque, continue baking in increments of 10 minutes.
tinted mason jars
The finished product! Aren't they pretty?
tinted mason jars
Use them as vases.
tinted mason jars
To hold craft supplies.
tinted mason jars
Or, even in your bathroom for accessories!

• Mason jar  (michaels)
  • Mod podge  (michaels)
  • Food coloring  (stop n shop)

• Jcr12582372

Will the color of the Mason jar be permanent once you do this treatment?
    • Stephanie Fudge

She's got flowers in water in one so I'm assuming so.
    • Nancy Palombi

Nope. My mom and I did this and when she used one of the jars as a vase for fresh flowers, the color dissipates because Modge Podge is water soluble. I don't know why that didn't cross my mind to let my mom know but she called me a few days later to say the jar was clear again. Lol.
    • Willow

I've not done this, but I think they were pretty clear there's a 'dishwasher safe' mod podge that would last. But if you're in doubt, contact the mfg.

• Georgia Robinson

Not if 'painted' on the inside and using water. (Most times we also add the plant food into the water as well. If you painted the jar on the outside, then it would be fine.
    • Pat29114096

Mod Podge is pretty sturdy. I've painted it on things for outdoor use that lasted 4-5 years. It'll wear down eventually, but who wants the same decor much longer anyway, right?

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

It looks like she used the dishwasher safe one but it will peel off if exposed to water. I filled a jar with water and let it sit for a couple of days and it peeled right off.

• Teresa Parnell Rasbury

Will Elmers glue work in place of Modpodge? Still using the same method with food coloring and baking the jars in the oven? I don't have any Modgepodge right now, but I'm wanting to do this project today!

• Stephanie Fudge

I hope so, I'm going to try it today!

• Stephanie Fudge

Nope it doesn't work, live and learn. 😃 You would need to use the MP that's dishwasher safe which is what she used based on the label color.
    • Teresa Parnell Rasbury

So glad I didn't try the glue! Tks, Steph.
    • Georgia Robinson

Yes you can. just mixed a small amount of water to make it spreadable.
    • Teresa Parnell Rasbury

That's great! I have used the homemade Modpodge that is Elmer's glue and a little water and that works well for me. So since I don't have any ModPodge right at the moment, the homemade might work as well. Tks so much, Miss Georgia Robinson from Alabama!
    • Kay

Hi Teresa, I have not used Elmer's glue, as I live in Australia. Would Elmer's glue, be safe to put in the oven? Can you tell me what amount of Elmer's glue, to water you use to make this, as I shall try to get some Elmer's glue. Thanks in advance, for your answer. Kay Adelaide Australia

• Teresa Parnell Rasbury

I've used both Mod Podge and Elmer's glue at different times. When using glue just add little water to the glue then add food coloring. Iv been working on Mason Jars that have been spray painted and decorated. I will post them when I'm finished. Tks so much, Ms. Kay for your question.

• Jacqualine Katchmarik

Which type of Mod Podge did you use?
    • Landsharkinnc

Iyve never used it, but i have seen a washable Modpodge with the other MP products
    • Stephanie Fudge

Based on the color of the MP label it's the dishwasher safe for glass. Regular MP label is red and yellow. I hope that helps.
  • Bro7080877

Could they be used as candle holders?
  • Kim Fenner Sheldon

Can you use these for drinks and can they be put in the dishwasher?
  • All13580661

This is so awesome. Can you put the paints outside instead?
  • Could you leave a swirl effect in the modge podge?
    • Georgia Robinson

You can try anything your heart desires.. Just remember when you place them o the baking sheeyt the paint will run anyway.

• Pap23195814

What is midge podge?
  • Sarah | Birch Landing Home

Could you color the outside instead of the inside? Is it pretty permanen? Thanks! Came
    out great :)
  • Gail wisehart

I would like to do this for my daughters wedding centerpieces. Are they safe to put a candle in them?
  • Dee

I noticed you had water in the blue jar you used as a vase. Does this affect the finish, or does 'baking' it make it waterproof?
  • Tara christopher

If you put it on the outside of the jar can you put food in it? Also can you wash/clean without taking it off?
  • Lou-Ann

Can u podge the lid and ring for the jar? I would like to use in bathroom for
    cotton balls etc.
  • Sch12706159

Does the baking process leave an odor? Should there be ventilation while baking?
    • Kenna

I always use ventilation when I am heating chemicals of any kind
  • Janice

Can you put food in the jar after it's colored?
  • Donna G Mooney

How do you get the mod podge out after baking?
    • Pat Bryan Kerr

You don't. That's what gives it the color. It is just colored "glue" that becomes transparent after baking it onto the mason jar surface. Like glazing a pot.
    • Kenna

You don't. It coats the inside of the jar and hardens .
  • Debra Walton

Can you drink from them?
  • Karen Harper

What is modge podge never heard of this in uk?
    • Gill Osborne

Mod podge is available in the uk. Try Amazon or any craft store like The Range or Hobbycraft. Alternatively, look on line for a recipe for making your own (it's a PVA adhesive based product) You can also get it from eBay. Make sure it's a UK based seller.
    • Kenna

It is basically white glue that turns from it's naturel white color to clear once dry..
    • Neonate

It is a type of glue used for decoupage. It's sold in craft stores and some pharmacies.
    • Patience

It is a glue used in decoupage which dries clear after spreading over surface.
    • Patience

I probably wouldn't as the glue is on the inside.
  • Jcogburn50

Do you have to use the mod pog can you use like Elmers glue
  • Simone Myers Howell

Are they waterproof? Dishwasher safe or will the color come off?
    • Tanya Ruffin

Mod podge has a dishwasher safe product but not sure how food coloring would hold up. MP is not food safe either, so I wouldn't put water in it or drink from it. There are other products such as enamel glass paint that would work better, but neither would be food safe.
  • Blossom Tham

Can you mix the food coloring and mod podge separately in a bowl and apply it to the outside of the jar , dry it, bake it and have the same results?
  • Christine

Are they still safe for food storage ?
  • Dorothy Weide

why was the jars right side up when taken out of the oven?
    • Vickie Raymond

I would venture that by the time they have baked go 20+- minutes, they are no longer draining. While handling them to check for opaqueness, it would make sense to return them upright. Prevents moisture, as well
    • Karen

It isn't. The picture shows them still upside down on the tray while coming out of the oven.
    • Ber23982780

Heat expansion and faster drying
    • Maria Garcia

I think she was just demonstrating how they should look when taken out. She even had a pot holder on. I doubt they were just baked.
    • M

I'm guessing the removal from the oven in the video was staged, being upright just an oversight. Cute project!
    • Georgia Robinson

Take another look. They are still upside down.
    • Dorothy Weide

They are upright in video.
  • Mary Geib

Does it hold up to being used as a vase with water for fresh flowers?
  • Teresa Davis

We're you using regular modpodge or dishwasher safe?
    • Jackie doll

I'm curios too. . she states use as a vase but I wouldn't think the mod podge would hold up to water exposure!
    • Joanne

i think she means it for dilk flowers.
    • Emmer Holbrook

ah, but it does. u have small tortises living in my yard. they each have return address labels and a "reward for return" modge podged to their shells. they have lasted for years, including burrowing for hibernation!
  • Rambie

Cute! You could use it in the kitchen as well. Why use so much modge podge though? So you can cover the whole inside of jar? How much is usually still inside the jar after you bake it or does it all drain out? I am new to modge podge can't you tell, Lolol
    • 9530106

It is actually Mod Podge, so if you decide to try it, you will know what to look for. It has been a craft staple for decades!
    • Rambie

That's what I mean't to say guess my mind was wondering!! :)
  • RIT22493045

Is this safe to use for Humming bird feeder???? or is it toxic???
    • Cocotel

I wouldn't chance it - I see one person posted that the paint came off when she added water.

• Chuckie Cantrell

Is it safe to use jars for fig preserves etc?
    • Susan

No. Decorative only.
    • Carol Z

They turn out so pretty!! Never would have thought of it! Great technique and end result!
    • Georgia Robinson

Not if 'painted' on the inside. If you painted the jar on the outside, then it would be fine.
  • Connie Garrison Gray

I put water in it and it came off! use oven everything. now going to do utside

• Sarah Jackson

They should have mentioned to use "exterior" Mod Podge.
    • Rho6053385

So.... use exterior Mod Podge on the interior, right? 😜 I didn't know they made it, honestly. I'm new at this. Lol
  • Carole castle

What is Mod Podge? what is it in the UK? Very interesting and I would love to try it. PLEASE HELP?
    • Carol Jordan

PVA glue mixed with water. You can make your own doing just that. It will dry clear. Modge Podge has multiple versions that dry with different finishes. Don't know how you'd make that. Maybe mix a little chalk in it to get the chalk finish?

• Carole castle

Add an .
    • Carole castle

Thanks Carol Jordan - Unfortunately I do not know what PVA glue is? I am in London England UK - and we do have restrictions on 'Glue' products - any other ideas? If not Thank You all the same for the reply C x
    • Linda Sikut

Modge Podge must be available in the UK because this site sells it
      Since I'm in the US, the site did tell me shipping would be $65. (that might not come up if you're in the UK)
  • Fla4032051

Wonderful idea. I too use mason jars for a lot of things..my personal opinion I never would change a mason jars character...there are a lot of different jars out there that would be even lovelier with your technique.
    My question is why mod podge and when you wash them..by hand of course...at least I would.
    Does it change or take off the coloring
    • Linda Sikut

You use mason jars because they can take the heat of the oven. Other glassware might break or explode. Mod Podge (Mod Pod) is the medium that holds the color to the glass. Wash them gently and they should be fine.
  • Sdm24896329

What is mod pod
    • Jane LaBadie Arriola

Mod Podge is an adhesive sold in craft stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. It looks like white school glue.
    • Lynn

"Mod Podge" is a crafting supply used for decoupage and other types of projects. It's widely available at craft stores and Walmart. I hope this helps :)
    • 9530106

Mod Podge is a craft glue and sealer all in one. There are several formulations available, for different crafts. It has been around for over 40 years, widely available at WM, and hobby stores, etc.
    • Arlene

Essentially, for those of you that don't have access to Modge Podge, it's watered-down liquid white glue. Like Elmer's.
  • Deb Heberling

Can you put food in these jars?
    • Nadine Hartman Bourne

when it comes to crafts that use this on the out side of things like coffee mugs it says you shouldn't put near the rim where your lips touch. so I don't think you should put food in them. they sell colored mason jars for canning food in blue purple and green I would look for those if you wanted to store food. I looked on the blue label mod podge the dishwasher safe stuff it doesn't say anything about food. you could contact the company and ask. I used some to stick and seal a shampoo label on a plastic bottle it didn't stay on long in the shower,

• Gfj17925516

Maybe, but only if the food-safe Mod Podge is used. I expect if this particular Mod Podge was used with food coloring, it should be safe for food. But if you don't find the food-safe version, don't use these mason jars for food!
    • Georgia Robinson

• Linda Browne

Have you tried the solar light top with these?
  • Diane Gnage

Won't it crack in the oven?
    • Kim Wood

the true canning jars should not. They are made for extreme heat used during canning.
    • Georgia Robinson

Tempered glass will not crack unless the jar is already damaged. You need to be careful with regular glass. You may need to turn down the temperature of the oven to do this on regular glass. I would definitely NOT recommend it though.
  • Debbie Jo

For the faux mercury, is that water you're putting in the spray bottle?
  • Ksw17631118

Can you use water and food coloring

• Doris Byrd

use Elmer's glue with water and food coloring but don't know if you'd want to bake it . it comes out looking like sea glass

• Georgia Robinson

No, The coloring would have nothing to stick to.
  • Bay9276619

Does this work on glass other than Mason jars?
    • Mary

Glass is glass. This should work, just be careful with thinner glass, as it'll break more easily.
    • Donna Bobeck

Hello, mason jars are tempered because they are used for canning. all glass cannot be boiled or baked. Be careful. Some glass explodes when heated.
    • Bay9276619

Good point! Thanks, Donna!
  • Mary cope

Can i use these for a light fixture cover.
  • Xoqtox1960

After mod podge can u drink out of the glass?
    • Carol Jordan

I wouldn't think so, unless sealed with something non toxic. You could go to Plaid Enterprises website and find out.

• Rose Gomez

You can also place a set of 20 lights inside that operate on batteries for a cute little lamp for anywhere that needs brightening!
  • Julia krause

Will the inside paint scrap off or chip?
    • BushAndBeachLife

Yes and it will soak off too. Use for dry items. Or coat outside of jar for use with drinks & food. It is semipermanent so will last really well just be careful and don't soak.
  • GwenM Heimer

What is Mod podge?
    • Superbee

Elmers glue with water added.
    • Kerry Trout

Mid Podge is a sealer used for decoupaging. Look for it with craft glues at the hobby store.
    • Glenda Mason Cartrette

Or you can make your own mod pod get by mixing Elmer's glue with water 50/50 ratio & using 3-4 drops food coloring for different colors. Mix well glue and water before adding food color

• Sandy

Where does the mixture go during the cooking process? I noticed the cookie sheet was clean. Can you put real flowers in one? If so, how do you clean the gunk that's left in the jar once the flowers die & are thrown out?
    • BushAndBeachLife

It sets under heat but is not actually permanent. It can be scratched or soaked off. Just use to hold dry items, or try the process above but on outside of jar.
  • Linda Lyle

would these jars be food safe? I am thinking ....like for flour or sugar?
    • BushAndBeachLife

Coat outside of jar for use with food or drink. I have a stand hubby made from wire that holds my jar upside down. I pour the mix slowly over jar base then reuse what runs off rim to re coat until covered completely.
  • M

can you use them as a vase with real flowers or drink out of them?
    • Amy

Water will begin to dissolve the Mod Podge. Don't put any liquid in them.
  • Juanita

Are they food and water safe?
  • Cat22480002

Can they be used to serve drinks?
  • Patricia Parrett

Do flower stems tend to scratch the inside dried paint?
  • Jwilcombe

great idea but how did you turn them upright while still in the oven??
    • Etd5261364

She didn't. Looks like they baked upside down. Then when cooled turned over and done!
    • Sian

Have I missed the bit about turning them upright while still in the oven? I would use tongs, the same as for meat turning - but not the same ones, but is it even necessary to turn?
  • Jud13360020

Are they food safe
  • Jeri Bastian

You can also leave streaks in the color or even use more than one color (i.e: red and yellow) and swirl to get a blown glass effect
  • Ina19393153

Bake at 250degrees....... C or F??
  • Mary Borowicz

When the jars were placed on a cookie sheet (they were upside down). When they were removed from the oven they were right side up. Were they inverted during baking time????
  • Sandy

will this project support wax, as in making a candle in this jar?
  • Bonnie Brown

Does the modpodge come off when wet?
  • Clare Nielsen

Is the 250 oven degrees Celsius or Farenheit
  • Michelle Cox

what about the cookie sheet? Do you put something over the cookie sheet to protect it, before baking? Love this idea.
  • Mo

Very cool!! Love it👍🏻
  • Richard D. Guffey

Can the jar still be used to hold food
    • Pat12205637

No!
    • Deanna Mills

NO, NO. If for any reason you want to reuse this jar, just soak it in hot
      water and the glue will dissolve. It is beautiful but not water proof, on the inside.
  • Marci L. Baucom

I tried this using smaller jars (like a jelly jar). they have not dried yet, even over night. Did I use too much Modge Podge?
  • Eileen Saunders Snyder

If it's not waterproof how can it be used as a vase
    • 153091

I have made mason jars w/color and I place a heavy duty paper cup inside the mason jar and that holds water & flowers.
    • CJ

I don't understand how but there is definitely water in the jar she put the flowers in. If you watch the video, the water can be seen even more clearly than in the photo above.
  • Marci L. Baucom

Dissapointed with this. Finally gave up waiting for an answer to my question. Jars never dried after 2 days. I've washed them and will use for something else mabe.
    • M Annette Bunch Cook

I don't think hers were dry either when she baked them. Even though she says to let dry before putting on the baking sheet, if you look at her pics, there is still something seeping out of the yellow one
    • Marci L. Baucom

Thanks. It was a cute idea that seemed really simple, but I won't try these again.
    • Charl

They dry when in the oven and I make sure they're completely covered before putting in oven ...rims wiped off without touching inside of jars.
    • Danielle Whatsittoyou

What she actually said, was..."let dry for approx. 4 hours or until Mod Podge has hardened". She never said it had to be completely dry. Also, whenever 'drying' anything, the humidity and temperature in your location will be a considerable variable in relation to 'drying' time. So, her 4 hours may only need to be 2 hours for some and 8 hours for others. Just something to consider before lashing out because your project didn't go as smoothly as expected.
  • Cindy Herndon

I made these today and they turned out beautiful! I used turquoise and coral colors. The jars were taking a little longer to dry so I put them on a wire rack so air could get inside the jar. Thank you for this idea! I'll be doing red & green for Christmas and pastels for Easter!
  • Susan Ashman

Who thought this up? How did they know the jars would have a cellophane paper look? Are they able to be washed by hand if needed?
    • Lynn

This idea has been around for years to "stain" various pieces of glass. Yes these can be washed by hand, but I would not advise putting water Inside of a mod podged jar, as mod podge is not water proof.
    • Donna McLaughlin

Please explain then why did you show flowers in a mason jar with water?
    • Rosalie Rogers

Perhaps they are artificial roses!
    • Danielle Whatsittoyou

I am with Donna McLaughlin on this one. That definitely appears to be roses in a jar with water. My question is, if you wanted to use it as a vase with water, couldn't you just do the same process but on the outside of the jar? Possibly mixing the Mod Podge in a separate container and painting it on the outside before baking.
    • R Hopp

You could put a smaller glass inside the modge podge glass to hold the wate.
    • Rhonda Teris

There is a Mod Podge that is dishwasher safe.
    • Vikki

Isn't the reason you bake it is so it can be water proof? This was my understanding from other sites I have read on how to tint or dye glass jars
  • Eva Migdalia Salgado

the jars were upside down when u put in oven.! then when u took them out they were facing up...do we turn them up? if so when?
    • Vikki

Most places I have read about tinting glass like this...they put them upright when they go into the oven. Hope that helps. I am trying some out right now. They are in the drying period for 3 more hours

• Eva Migdalia Salgado

Vikki thank you for answering my question.....let me kn how it turns out pls,,,,have fun

• Veleska Harris Pritchard

I noticed that the jars were placed into the oven upside down, but then the next shot in the video shows them being removed in the upright position. When were they flipped?
  • Bj Wise

Can u do this glass vases. Like the ones u get from the flower shop
  • Chaas

can you do the painting on the outside of jar?

• Jodie Woods

Are these washable/dishwasher safe?
    • DonnerMaine

I put water in mine and all the color disappeared!
    • Tracy

There is a Dishwasher safe Mod Podge now, but it doesn't recommend leaving water in for along time.
    • Jodie Woods

Thanks for that info, Tracy! This still doesn’t sound very sustainable so it’s not going to make it to my favorites list.
    • Kimberly Hytinen

I wonder ... what if the inside was sprayed with a clear poly? Not good safe, but could use for flowers and the poly should preserve the color.

• Heather Best

I am going to try to paint the outside then spray with sealant to see if it lasts. I will update when completed and tested.

• Kay

Hi Julien, they are very pretty! Could I use vegemite jars instead? Can they be used as tea light candles? Which Moj Podge did you use, as I am unfamiliar, with Moj Podge, and will I be able to wash them. I am interested in the Elmer's glue @ water version of Mog Poge? Many thanks in advance for your answer. Kay Adelaide Australia
  • Liz Sanchez

Beautiful, love it. I noticed you have flowers in water inside one of these jars, doesn't the Mod Podge & food coloring dissolve? Or is it baked in once you placed it in the oven... just wondering.
    • Mar17496762

We put this to the test, wanted to use them for our daughter's wedding, and the color started dissolving as soon as we filled the jar with water. Glad we tested it before we tinted all the jars.
    • Liz Sanchez

Thanks for your reply, have you tried doing it to the outside of the jars instead and place them lid down in the oven and see what happens? Even if you try it on one jar first, what have you got to lose.

The worst that could have happened if you would have put lets say white flowers inside the jar when the dye (if it was blue) and and Mod Podge started dissolving is that you would have ended with white flowers turning pale blue through osmosis. Many blessing to your daughter on her wedding and beyond.
  • Jolene Kopena

Have you did this with clear wine bottles?
  • Tessa

Could the jars be painted on the inside (as most of it runs out of the jar, thus saving mod podge & paint) & then baked?
    • Vicki Bushert

It tends to look streaky if you "paint" the inside. I do mine about 3/4 filled then stack one on top of another mouth to mouth. So it goes from one jar into another. I can do about 4 this way. less waste
  • Kat

You put the jars in the oven upside down, but when you took them out they were right side up. Do you turn them while they are drying?
  • Aiokersonalicea1

Could you use a toaster or counter top oven?
  • Lori

how can you wash them?
  • Kelly Benitez Myers

I have mason jar salt and pepper shakers . Can you still use the jar for food products like salt and pepper after this process?

• Inez Torres

Can they be used for candles if not can this be done on the outside of the jar then use for candleds

• Vallarie Mitchell-Morgan

Can I use a clear glass flower vase if it is made of thick glass?

• Joyce

It all bakes into the glass...there is nothing to take out

• Ellen McMichael

HOw do you get the Pod out of the jar after baking?

• Ellen McMichael

• Maude LaFountain

Can you use White Elmers Glue for this also ?

• Connie Villarreal

Which modge podge is recommend for this product? Does it matter? I’ve seen different ones used.

• Kris Kessell

I've tried this before but the for fades. Does baking it prolong the color and make it waterproof?

• Lois

I noticed you put the jars upside down in the oven, but they were upright when you took them out. Do you turn the upright during the baking process?

• Candy Cabaniss

The color baked in for good or will it wash clear if you need to wash the jar?

• Candy Cabaniss

• Candy Cabaniss

• Candy Cabaniss

• Candy Cabaniss

• Christina Loftin

Hey yes well u see I live @an assisted living facility and I don't have access to an oven so yes I was just wondering if I would still be able to do this project? And if it would still work

• Hughlene Edwards Collins

I think it’s probably the oven heat that makes the project work!!! Maybe a family member could take them home and do the oven part if you did the hodgepodge and food color part!!! I hope this works for you!!!!

• Lov33087365

Will this work on clear glass vases also?

• Lov33087365

• Victoria Monroe

No, it needs to be tempered glass that can withstand high heat. Regular glass can shatter in the oven

• Lov33087365

• Terri A. Belles

Can this Ben done on the outside, as to use them for drinking out of?

• Brenda Moats Felder

Can you put liquid in the jar afterwards?

• Sally Arnold Swanson

Looks like they did with the flowers

• Monique Territa

No it will eventually take the color away. I used it for my toothbrushes and it didn't stay. So I wouldn't recommend. I was hoping they would show sealing it with something. Very nice though!

• Debra Lunsford Mueller

I think I think I will paint mine on the outside so I can use water on the inside or not get the inside scratched by what I put in the jar. Just a thought if you want to add water.

• Heather Best

I was thinking of trying the outside too and then spraying a sealant on to hold the color. Let me know if it works for you Debra.

• Bill Paulk

Ummmm....... . They went in upside down and came out up right. Does this happen during the 30 minute heating process?

• Pamela Long

What is mod podge?

• Leyla Shelton

It's a crafting supply that looks like glue. You can use it for a ton of stuff...allows you to add paper and fabrics to other items, etc

• Pamela Long

Thank you ,but I wonder what the equivalent is in the U.K. !

• Laurie Shank

Could you use Classico sauce jars?

• Kathryn Ryan

Is it safe to use for edibles or beauty products? Like for homemade scrubs and hand creams?

Does it wear off?

• Heather Best

Since Mod Podge is not edible, I would say that probably isn't a good idea. I haven't tried it but I wonder if you could paint the outside instead in this situation? It would be worth a try.

• Annie

Thanks for asking what mod poster is and thanks for the respond. Is there a place Ike can go to learn the various usage of mod podge?

• Heather Best

I think Pinterest would be a wealth of knowledge or you can just Google Mod Podge uses.

• Audra

It looks,like theres a spot that didnt get "colored" on one side. Is there way to make sure all the sides uo to the top get covered? (I really hope you get what i am trying to say. Having a hard time saying what i am thinking LOL)

• Heather Best

I would think you could use a brush or sponge brush to make sure everything is covered, just don't make it too thin or it may show streaks... Or just taking more care to make sure all spots are covered prior to placing in the oven.

• Audra

• Yvonne Smith Angus

Do you have to use Mod Podge? Will white glue work?

• Lisa Slicer

When you let water stand inthe jar does the color come off ?

• Lisa Slicer

• Rck32644815

Does it have to be a mason jar or could you use any glass jar?

• Margo Naismith Bergene

Jars used for canning like mason or ball are designed to withstand heat but I bet most jars that have food in them would be fine

• Deborah Jones

wont the color scratch off if something is stuck into it?

• Deborah Jones

• Keynamooney

We drink out of our mason jars. Can they still be used for that?

• Debra A Giffin

NO. You can use the same mix to paint the lower outside but it will wash off. The vase idea on here won’t last, water will soak it off

• Crf3415101

When doing this with jars can I use Wilton food coloring? I noticed there is one with water and flowers does this project stay adhered so you can put water in them? Which of the modge podge do you usw? I am so excited to try this. Thank you and have a great day.

• Crf3415101

• Charlene Brown

Can the jars be used to drink out of after they are colored.

• Rory McBean

There are so many kinds of Mod Podge. Does one work better than another? Does it even matter?

Love this!

• Jewellmartin

If the bottles are labeled Mod Podge, they should be interchangeable. ModPodge is just thick white glue that dries clear. Best wishes!

• Psd8822215

Can you do this with other glass things like vases??

• John Biermacher

I really like the tinting. The picture and video shows the jar going into the oven upside down and coming out right side up. Should they be flipped part way through the baking cycle?

• Fran2

Can you do this to the outside of the jar so it can be used for food?

• Wanda Medley Allen Smith

im wondering will they hold up with water inside as vase, could use as drinking glasses uf you font cover rim of jar, still i think would be one use, i think it will come off. smell just mild dince its mainly a good quality white glue, it still looks great, need to test before making a bunch

• Terry Caraway Carpenter

The Mod Podge shown in the tutorial is the dishwasher safe type. If you look on Amazon, they have many different types. You should also be able to purchase it at just about any craft store. Just look for something dishwasher safe if you plan to get your jars wet. Hope this helps.

• Barb

Can you do this to clear glass ornaments and if so should the oven temperature still be 250 degrees.

• Beverly

can a person make a gel candle in this after tinting the glass?

• Camille

What kind of Modge Podge did you use there are so many different kinds?

• Karen

Can you use these for creams or other “things” ? Will the color wear off into the cream ????

• Beth Trask Symonds

Just paint your mixture on outside of jar with a sponge brush. Follow drying and baking directions.

• Kim

They were clear when I took them out of the oven but as they started cooling they started turning cloudy. What did I do wrong?

• Kim

Know what I did wrong, needed to turn them after I got them out of the oven

• Kathy Froloff

Can you use acrylic paint instead of food coloring?

• Lisarae

Absolutely beautiful and great directions. I will be doing this very soon. Thank you

• Dina Caten Pope

Did you try this and if so, what's your thoughts about it? Did you have Mason jars or other kinds of jars? I have a friend that did this with Spaghetti sauce jars and she loves them

• Rhonda

I will be trying this project also I'm going to try it on mason jar drimking glasses I think that would ne neat to use at a bbq