Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Atascadero, CA

DIY Night Cream With Essential Oils

$10

Today we figured we would mix up some trends for you! We love the trend towards creating DIY gifts for any holidays or special occasions, and we are always excited about trends having to do with natural beauty. So, why not a natural beauty recipe that you could gift to people you care about during this season?
I love natural skin care. I think it is amazing when you know each and every ingredient that goes onto your skin…which just happens to be your largest organ. Seriously! It kinda creeps me out when I cannot pronounce half the ingredients in my skincare products. Especially when I think about how my skin is so permeable. Sorry, but I am not looking to absorb toxins like a sponge. I want smooth and beautiful skin, but I want a gentle and nourishing route to the Fountain of Youth, thank you very much!

Photo Cred: Anya McInroy
Face Cream
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tbls coconut oil
  • 1 to 1 1/2 tbls beeswax
  • 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil
  • 1 tbls honey
  • 20 drops of lavender essential oil
  • 20 drops of geranium essential oil
  • 20 drops of frankincense essential oil
  • Mason Jars to store face cream
Start by adding your olive oil and beeswax into a medium sized pot.  No worries about what pot to use because all these ingredients are super natural and food safe.  You will not be ruining a cooking pot if that is all you have got!

For olive oil, I am kinda crushin’ on Scout Olive Oil.  It is crazy fresh which means it is loaded with antioxidants.  They even sight the harvest date of the oil on the bottle!  Perfect for fighting free radicals and preventing skin damage on the cellular level!  I love it so much, I even wash my face with the stuff!!  Don’t believe me?  Check out how I wash my face with olive oil on our blog at zestitup.com!
Chop up your beeswax so that it will melt with ease.  Before heating things up, go ahead and add in your vitamin E.  Make sure when you are hunting down a good vitamin E oil that you avoid anything with glycerin in the ingredient list.  That stuff seals up your skin so that it cannot breath!  No bueno for your permeable mug!

I simply used a pure version marketed for healing stretch marks and scars.  It is by JASON and it was the purest I found in my local stores.
Next up?  Honey, of course!  Honey has been successfully used in healthful skincare since at least the time of the ancient Egyptians.  It is soothing, medicinal and ridiculously fragrant!
Time for more delicious scent!  Add in your coconut oil and essential oils.
Obviously, you can have a ton of leeway at this point.  Whatever floats your boat.  You could try my proportions, or switch it up.  Heck, you could even do entirely different essential oils!  I chose lavender, frankincense, and geranium because all three are stellar wrinkle fighters.  You will feel a lovely warming sensation with this moisturizer as these essential oils improve the circulation under your skin and work their magic!
Now it is simply about gently warming the mixture long enough to melt the beeswax.
As the mixture cools, you will see the appearance change to a slightly cloudy concoction.  It will thicken up as it continues to cool.  Here is an important hint that I learned during this process, once things are cooled down a bit, throw your moisturizer into a mixer (or use a hand mixer).  As the oils and wax cool, the honey will want to stiffen and separate out.  A quick whip will take care of this in a flash!
Luscious in texture and intoxicating in smell.  This night time lotion may be the perfect “tuck in” for beddy-bye time.
I am loving this so much that I think making a few jars as gifts will be on my to-do list! Use old jars from the thrift store, washed out baby jars, or small mason jars to store your little beauty potion…..and sleep tight!
xoxo
Chanda

Zest it Up