How do you make wood doors and windows keep from warping?

Kig3047281SharonNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA

And if they do whats the best way to reshape them without causing drafts and allowing them to open and close smoothly?
  • The grade of lumber you start with is the key to success. Next time you build a window or door, check to see if it will be appopriate for the application. If warped, let dry out and sand down the portions that are rubbing.
  • Sharon

If badly warped, take to a wood shop that has a planer after they dry out. Then paint with a Marine epoxy paint, being sure to paint the bottom of the door so moisture can't wick up into the wood fibers. When you install windows be sure to use some kind of exterior wrap, caulk, and make sure the sill is at a slight downward angle to direct water away, so it doesn' t sit on the sill. Habitat for Humanity Restore has some real inexpensive doors and windows. I got a brand new mahogany solid door for $99.
  • Kig3047281

Be aware of the humidity in your home. I use a dehumidifier in the house to keep my doors from sticking in the hot humid summer. And in the winter I use a humidifier if it gets dry from having the heat on..