Mid-Century Side Table Up-Cycle

$10
1 Day

This side table is anything but a side piece. We transformed this mid century tragedy into the centerpiece of our foyer.
When I first saw this table, I knew it wanted a much needed new life with us at the Halle House. Its charm was covered in an inch of dust and old magazines, but I saw right threw it and knew it was coming home. My husband was much less enthused, but as my Design Assistant he carried it out to the car.
My other ADORABLE assistant
As you can tell, there was some stuff, I really don’t know what it was, that crusted on there over the years. It was a great little piece with a ton of character, but desperately needed some love. I was between painting and staining it. So I polled my followers on Instagram and my friends on Facebook and the response was completely split down the middle.
Since the response was a tie, I thought. Why not both? So this was my very first paint and stain mash up and I’m so happy with the results!
That sander made this project infinitely easier! No joke. I sanded the entire table in about 12 mins flat! 

After I sanded it down with a 80 and 120 grade sand paper, it was ready to be stained! I took a piece of old dish towel to apply the stain color. I keep old dish towels on hand and cut them into useable pieces for all my projects!
I gave the stain two hours dry time on our back patio since it was beautiful outside. I was so surprised with how quickly it dried. I didn’t think I would be able to get a primary coat of paint on before wrapping up for the day, but I did! I had to bring it inside to dry though. Here’s the first coat of white paint.
I was able to put another light coat of paint on the day after and it looks spectacular! I didn’t want the paint to look perfectly even. I like the imperfection of uneven brush strokes. It makes the piece look older and gives it another layer of depth.
Ta da! If you're interested to see more of my up-cycle projects, visit my blog!

• Wood Stain
  • Paint
  • Sander

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
The DIY Doghouse

• Kym

Love this project!!! Turned out so beautiful!

Do you happen to know where the lamp came from?

• Jaenine

I’m inspired to try this on my wood dining table, curious of the type of paint used ?

• Paula

Beautiful! Can you tell me what stain you used and what color?

• Paula

As soon as the garden is in this will be one of my summer projects. I will need to replace the ugly stick lihe legs to beef up the look a bit . Thanks for the inspired ideas , keep them coming . Y'all are the BOMB !

Peace Out ... P.

• Granny Laura

Did you put any sort of poly sealer on the stain? I like a satin poly myself, just to protect the stained surface. Or is that stain a combined stain/sealer?

It's a lovely piece - looks very fresh and modern.