The DIY Doghouse
The DIY Doghouse
  • Langhorne, PA

Mid-Century Side Table Up-Cycle

This side table is anything but a side piece. We transformed this mid century tragedy into the centerpiece of our foyer.
mid century side table up cycle
When I first saw this table, I knew it wanted a much needed new life with us at the Halle House. Its charm was covered in an inch of dust and old magazines, but I saw right threw it and knew it was coming home. My husband was much less enthused, but as my Design Assistant he carried it out to the car.
My other ADORABLE assistant
My other ADORABLE assistant
mid century side table up cycle
As you can tell, there was some stuff, I really don’t know what it was, that crusted on there over the years. It was a great little piece with a ton of character, but desperately needed some love. I was between painting and staining it. So I polled my followers on Instagram and my friends on Facebook and the response was completely split down the middle.

Since the response was a tie, I thought. Why not both?  So this was my very first paint and stain mash up and I’m so happy with the results!
mid century side table up cycle
That sander made this project infinitely easier! No joke. I sanded the entire table in about 12 mins flat! 

mid century side table up cycle

After I sanded it down with a 80 and 120 grade sand paper, it was ready to be stained! I took a piece of old dish towel to apply the stain color. I keep old dish towels on hand and cut them into useable pieces for all my projects!
mid century side table up cycle
I gave the stain two hours dry time on our back patio since it was beautiful outside. I was so surprised with how quickly it dried. I didn’t think I would be able to get a primary coat of paint on before wrapping up for the day, but I did! I had to bring it inside to dry though. Here’s the first coat of white paint.
mid century side table up cycle
I was able to put another light coat of paint on the day after and it looks spectacular! I didn’t want the paint to look perfectly even. I like the imperfection of uneven brush strokes. It makes the piece look older and gives it another layer of depth.
mid century side table up cycle
Ta da!

• Wood Stain
  • Paint
  • Sander
The DIY Doghouse

• P Davis

That turned out so pretty! Love, love white furniture with stained tops. I also love the paint color on your wall. Would you share the color and brand?
  • Charl

Beautiful job! What is the stain color?....and please, where did you buy that lamp? Looks perfect on that table.
  • Kol28692585

You can never go wrong with Ethan Allen. Pine right?

• Diane Z Fauth

Love it. Have a very similar side table I can use. I just think the frame on the mirror overpowers the great look of your table. , if you don't mind me saying so. Other, the nook you've created is charming.

• Le'

Job well done. Wasn't what I thought you were going to do. Beautiful.