Julie Copley
Julie Copley
  • Saint Paul, MN

Help with Flys in fireplace!

CindySharonSusan Axsom Curtis
+3

I usually covered up my fireplace due to the lose of heat im having trouble with blow flies beause i found a dead squirrel who knows how long it was there so we have been using fire logs thinking that we could burn the flies out and we swept and vaccumed but they came back in a day now we have another fire going and still killing flies our protector for our chimney blew off its been raining so no safe way of fixing it And im a renter please help
  • Call your landlord, they should have fixed for you. You need a proper chimney inspection and most likely a chimney sweep. Not expensive, but depending on terms of your rental agreement or lease, the landlord is generally responsible for maintenance issues of this type. Good luck!
  • Michele Pappagallo

I agree with Naomi. Your landlord should be responsible for this. If it is raining into your chimney and critters are getting into it, it is long overdue for some maintenance and cleaning. There could be a serious fire hazard or even mold from the rain coming it. Speak with the landlord immediately and demand some repairs and cleaning be done.
  • Susan Axsom Curtis

Your landlord should fix the chimmey and have it cleaned so the flies don't come back.
  • Sharon

Until the landlord gets it together, I would take a can of fly insecticide, and spray it up the chimney using a long piece of pipe like the long pole of your vacumn. Landlord needs to put a critter-proof cap on the chimney.
  • Cindy

Please don't spray anything up your chimney and then burn. You absolutely need a chimney sweep. Where I'm from they run approx. $150.00. You should sweep the chimney every 1 - 2 years. Depending how frequently you burn. A professional sweeper will block off the room and put down drop cloths. I recommend you call one asap. Good luck.