Nikki
Nikki

What is it about baked, crushed egg shell that is good for flower beds

Alice PeaceCatherine SmithSandy
+6

• Mariann McWhinney

I don't bake them. Egg shells are rich in calcium and other minerals.
  • They are full of calcium which is good for some plants and adds nutrients back in the soil.
  • Rob7453153

Egg shells return calcium and phosphorus to the soil. If you want to start plants from seeds, a very handy technique is to wash the inside of an eggshell, put some soil in each half, and plant a seed in each soil cup. When it starts to sprout you can plant the whole thing. If you want to enrich the soil with eggshells wash the inside before you crush them, then work into the soil near the plant.
  • Nancy Turner

If you crush the dry egg shells and put them on top of the soil, it will also deter any slugs that may attack your plants. Good for the soil and also snail deterrent, good thing to use in a garden.
  • Marcie

Any type of egg shells are good for the garden! The give calcium and magnesium back into the plant! Cush em up and put em in!
  • Tauba brown

calicum
  • Sandy

Thank you for this info, I hate those shell creatures, I always use salt on them, but I can't get them all and now I know how to prevent them from eating all the leaves on my orange tree, you would think the stickers would deter them, but evidently not.
  • Catherine Smith

Agreed it's the calcium, but I use egg shells in my compost bins, so I cheat. Buy the cheapest, biggest bottle of Calcium tablets and just stick a couple in around your plants for an extra boost.
  • Alice Peace

egg shells are calcium. cleaned, dried, and pulverized the plants love it. its good for you too