Kasy
Kasy
  • Alpena, MI

How can I make more space?

SharonGma KirkGwen Barham Loftus
+3

My apartment is small and I don't have closets anywhere except my bedroom, the bathroom doesn't have any place to put towels or anything, I just want more cubbards and places to put my things. What are some of your "life hacks" for adding space? 😁😆
  • Madeline Parkes

How high are your ceilings? You could add high cupboards for items you don't need every day, like towels and bedding 😀
  • Bernice Clore-Wanser

go vertical. Add shelving along the top of the walls. Or make narrow shelves out of wooden crates.
  • Sharon Depatie

Add a shelf over your washroom door for towels & shelves over your toilet tank for necessities like t-paper or soaps. Use pretty baskets or boxes for cosmetics or t-brushes & paste. Place low boxes under your bed for seasonal clothing or bedding. Add more shelves in your bedroom closet to reach to the ceiling (again for seldom-used articles), & hooks inside closet doors. Instead of bedside tables, use tall shelving units for more storage areas & use hanging lighting for Bed. Install hooks beside your door to hold coats, keys etc. ( command hooks will avoid wall damage). Hang dish towels or narrow slots for pot lids inside cabinet doors. Hang a bare picture frame on the wall & hang measure spoons in it - call it art. Look around your apt for items that can serve dual purpose. Hope this helps..
  • Gwen Barham Loftus

Put lifters under your bed posts and you'll get 5 more inches of height. I put stuff in plastic containers and slide them under that extra space. You can find these at Bed, Bath and Beyond, Amazon, etc. Big Lots had them for $5. In one bath room I got a chrome towel rack like in hotels. You can stack quite a few towels on it.
  • Gma Kirk

You can have shelves over doors, and shelves over windows can double as curtain rods by drilling a hole through the corbels for a dowel. Shelves can hold baskets to hold things like out of season accessories, linens, whatever. Backs of doors can hold over-the-door shelves or even hanging shoe holders to contain smaller items. Under bed storage crates. I love a big moving barrel for storing table cloths, afghans, blankets (or sweaters?), covered with a round table cloth and then a glass round used as an end table. Banquet bench at the kitchen table has lift up seat, stores files for business papers on one side and placemat, napkins, tableclths on the other.
  • Sharon

I like floor to ceiling bookcases, you can get doors for some makes for lower level. I like them cause they don't stick out far. I like the kind with the little pins where you can move shelves up or down. I usually try to order an extra shelf or two.
    Bedroom, convert your bed to a platform with storage underneath that can be kitchen cubboards.... Ikea had a great hack video on how to do, might give you some ideas, I would go to Habitat for Humanity and get some used cabinents cheap and paint them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vai8xV6jD60 Add an extra rod to your closet to double your hanging space.

Bathroom, you can add one of those metal over the toliet racks, then roll you towels to store on it. or use a basket between tub and toliet to put your rolled towels. Use baskets or plastic containers to store misc.