Pat
Pat
  • Delaware, OH

How do I update my kitchen cabinets that are laminate?

Dysko7710WilliamPatricia

• Patricia

You could paint the laminated cabinets with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. The cabinets need to be clean and free of dust and oil. You won't need a primer coat, but you'll need to 2-3 coats of paint depending on the color. You can seal with soft wax, but for kitchen cabinets I would recommend sealing with General Finishes High Performance Top Coat. If you're not sure how the project will turn out then I recommend taking one of the doors off and painting the inside to test how you like the look. Good luck!
    • Pat

I will look into using Annie Sloan chalk paint. Whenever I checked with any paint companies I was told I could not paint laminate, so I have been reluctant to try. Thank you very much for the information.

You can paint them. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123. Then paint with your color. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.
    • Pat

Thank you William for the instructions. Good information!
  • Dysko7710

You can also change out the hardware on them to something more fun and modern.