How can I increase the flowering on my lilac bush?

Vjl23834819Phyllis VaughnJill Buckalew
+1

• Jan Clark

Depending on where you live and the age of the bush, I'd say, in general, prune back the bush about six weeks before they flower. Also, make sure they're well fed. If you don't like commercial fertilizers, sprinkle with Epsom salts in the fall before cold weather sets in. About 1 lb of salts all the way around for every inch in diameter of the main trunk - at the dripline.
  • Jill Buckalew

I think cutting it back after it blooms is a better idea. Otherwise you are removing this years flowers.
  • Phyllis Vaughn

I agree with Jill Buckalew about the pruning, but I would just Google "Care of Lilacs ", or just "Lilacs". You should be able to find plenty of expert advice.
  • Vjl23834819

pruning too late will have you cutting off some of next years blooms since they bloom on last years wood. Cutting off the flowers fronds after they bloom will make the plant use its energy building up the plant rather than into making seeds.