Is there a secret to growing healthy tomato plants?

Wally seeleyAlice PeaceTeresa
+3

I've tried and tried to grow tomatoes! My plants eventually wind up getting some kind of wilt or rot and never produce tomatoes. I've tried planting them in ground and in pots. Help!!!!
  • Teresa

I always add mature and peat moss and I get great tomatoes every year.
  • Judy Ferrell

If you think you have blossom end rot add antacid tablets or eggshells to soil. Your tomatoes need calcium.

The first step is to make sure you have the right size pot with drainage holes.Use a good garden soil such as miracle grow for vegetables.Plant and water in a sunny location.

after the plants establish about two weeks give them a shot of fertilizer with a higher potassium level(use a water soluble)this will replace watering for the day.As they develop remove the suckers from the bottom and pinch off any flowers to close together.
  • Teresa

I read that Tomatoes need to be planted really deep. For example a 10 inch plant should be planted 7inches deep. Yes you cover stems and everything. This produces very strong plants. I've tried it myself and it works. Good luck. TeresaC
  • Alice Peace

remove most of the leaves and plant the young plant very deep with just a few off the top leaves exposed above the soil. use Epson salt as a fertilizer.
  • Wally seeley

yes plant the tomatoes deep they develop more roots sandy loamy soil is great for growing tomatoes and they favor hot nights to ripen